Rho Ophiuchi Cloud Complex

CCD vs Film? Lots of time vs no patience? Alright, this is your place to discuss all the astrophotography what's and what's not. You can discuss about techniques, accessories, cameras, whatever....just make sure you also post some nice photos here too!
celeron787

Rho Ophiuchi Cloud Complex

Post by celeron787 »

A case of over-expectatations.
The Rho Ophiuchi was much dimmer than I thought, and imaging under Bortle 8 light pollution made things worse.
Loads of walking noise in this. Guess I have to look into dithering in future.

View plate-solved version here: http://nova.astrometry.net/annotated_full/4452499

Rho Ophiuchi is a multiple star system in the constellation Ophiuchus. The star system, located only 400 light years away, is distinguished by its multi-colored surroundings, which include a red emission nebula and numerous light and dark brown dust lanes. Near the lower left of the Rho Ophiuchi molecular cloud system is the yellow star Antares, while a distant but coincidently-superposed globular cluster of stars, M4, is visible just to the right of Antares.

Sony A6000
Samyang 135mm F2.0
Sky-Watcher Star Adventurer
Tripod

Bortle 8
ISO400
Light frames - 384 x 15secs
Dark Frames - 30 x 15secs
Flat Frames - 35
Bias Frames - 50

Deep Sky Stacker
StarTools - 50% Bin, Autodev, Crop, Wipe, Life, Contrast, Decon, Color, Denoise

heyjojos

Re: Rho Ophiuchi Cloud Complex

Post by heyjojos »

nice picture. I have always been mesmerized by Rho Ophiuchi for some reasons. :mryellow:
Curious to know why you are taking only 15 sec exposure when you have mounted on a star adventurer? Is that because you are taking it at 135mm?

HJ
celeron787

Post by celeron787 »

heyjojos wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:06 am nice picture. I have always been mesmerized by Rho Ophiuchi for some reasons. :mryellow:
Curious to know why you are taking only 15 sec exposure when you have mounted on a star adventurer? Is that because you are taking it at 135mm?

HJ
Thanks! The Rho Ophiuchi is one of my my fav objects too, space infinity stones. I'm limited to 15secs as I'm shooting with Aperture wide open at F2. Anything longer is overexposed.
heyjojos

Post by heyjojos »

Thanks. I see your iso is set at 400, probably because of light pollution in Singapore. In this case it’s even more impressive that you can take a shot like this!!!