The Blue Snowball at Andromeda

CCD vs Film? Lots of time vs no patience? Alright, this is your place to discuss all the astrophotography what's and what's not. You can discuss about techniques, accessories, cameras, whatever....just make sure you also post some nice photos here too!
cataclysm

The Blue Snowball at Andromeda

Post by cataclysm »

This is the 3rd Planetary Nebula being imaged with my Mewlon. I can't quite discern its colour visually , and its only through the camera to be able to bring out its full glory of the Aquamarine blue. Owing to its relative small size, the structure is not very obvious in my picture , pale in comparison to the Dumbell and Ring Nebula. I can only see that the disc is slightly hollow near the centre and elongated. In fact, it has an uncanny resemblance to an out of round Uranus.
chrisyeo

Post by chrisyeo »

Hi Cataclysm,

Can you share with us your setup? :)

I was just wondering if less processing will show more background stars.

Cheers,
Chris
gwenyi

Post by gwenyi »

pretty nice target for an astrophoto. could be better with resolution
cataclysm

Post by cataclysm »

Can you share with us your setup?
This image was made up of 27x35s exposure at ISO1600 with Mewlon 210 and Canon 350D at prime focus with TAK FR/FF. The images were capture RAW with Daylight setting and subsequently converted to TIFF b4 stacking. LPR filter was used in the imaging train to curb sky glow. The mount is GM8 with Gemini goto. I am still combating
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
This image was made up of 27x35s exposure at ISO1600 with Mewlon 210 and Canon 350D at prime focus with TAK FR/FF. The images were capture RAW with Daylight setting and subsequently converted to TIFF b4 stacking. LPR filter was used in the imaging train to curb sky glow. The mount is GM8 with Gemini goto. I am still combating
With such long focal length, I think you don't need the LPR. Also, with such a good setup, you should be able to do better... try to have at least one minute exposure for each image.

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
river

Post by river »

Can you use a focal reducer on the mewlon?
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
Can you use a focal reducer on the mewlon?
Tak have a focal reducer for Mewlon 210... from f/11.5 to f/9.3 and I think he is using one.

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
cataclysm

Post by cataclysm »

with such a good setup, you should be able to do better... try to have at least one minute exposure for each image.
Thanks for the encouraging advice Weixing. I am still ironing out the kinks with my equipments. Even with the help of the focal reducer, at 2000mm FL the Mewlon is still quite a handfull for long duration photography without any form of guiding. With more practices, I should improve.
aquillae

Post by aquillae »

hi cataclysm, I think you'd have to remove the focal reducer to gain more resolution since the object is too small for your dSLR's big sensor(resolution). But yeah, imaging at nature focal length (prime focus) could cause more pain, unless you have a better tracking / dedicated autoguider.

nice image and keep up the good work.
jeff
astro-cubicle :: www.astrojeff.com