My astrophotography 2021

CCD vs Film? Lots of time vs no patience? Alright, this is your place to discuss all the astrophotography what's and what's not. You can discuss about techniques, accessories, cameras, whatever....just make sure you also post some nice photos here too!
hhzhang
Favourite scope: 115mm APO

Re: My astrophotography 2021

Post by hhzhang »

2021-Aug-1

Beginning of August.

Just another sunrise.

But the last quarter moon, at just 90 degree angle with earth and sun, shows its aging (rusty) face already. Hah. It is actually nothing but my boosting color saturation during image postprocecessing.

hhzhang

Post by hhzhang »

2021-Aug-4

The sky turned clear after sunset. Headed for a location deep in LCK and took advantage of the exceptionally nice weather. No clouds even in 14mm full frame!

But the light pollutions were way too strong for super wide angle photography where the unevenly illuminated background sky turned out very difficult to correct.

Anyway, I came back super happy that I managed to capture Milkyway with a landscape foreground. Much better than the result from Changi coast last month.

A series of three photos show the zoom-in from a cropped 14mm image to the Rho Ophiuchu Cloud Complex. I could probably have taken a better picture if I continued to shoot the complex when it moved to a less-affected section of sky around 11PM. But the point is, I have had enjoyed a good time under the stars and liked to call it a day.

celeron787

Post by celeron787 »

Nice milky way colors in the 2nd pic!
Coincidentally I was also imaging the same area, might post it up soon.
Dragon Man

Post by Dragon Man »

Stunning!
Every night I attempt to image Rho Ophiuchus I get clouded out or fogged out! I think it doesn't want to be photographed.
Cheers, Ken :D

Snake Valley, Australia

President: Snake Valley Astronomical Association
hhzhang

Post by hhzhang »

celeron787 wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:48 pm Nice milky way colors in the 2nd pic!
Coincidentally I was also imaging the same area, might post it up soon.
Thanks. Cannot wait to see your work!

For the 2nd photo, I was shooting with a star-soft (softfocus) filter. But I was too lazy to shoot another set without.
hhzhang

Post by hhzhang »

Dragon Man wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:17 pm Stunning!
Every night I attempt to image Rho Ophiuchus I get clouded out or fogged out! I think it doesn't want to be photographed.
Aha. Don't complain about bad weather to Singapore-based astrophotographers.

Coincidentally, the IOTD for today was a truly stunning photo of this milky way section.
hhzhang

Post by hhzhang »

2021-Aug-6

My favorite moon phases in order:
1. thin crescent moon
2. full moon
3. first/last quarter moon

I am always fascinated by the earthshine -- the darker side of the thin crescent moon.

Today it was one. Despite the cloudy predawn skies, I took chance and went out to the observation site.

No I did not capture the crescent moon rise, neither did I capture a clean earthshine photo. But alas, some narrow gaps between low clouds allow me the take a look at this marvelous beauty through high-thin clouds.

One more try for tomorrow morning!
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

Thanks HH Zhang. You have alot of interesting objects. Hope to see your planets soon. :)
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
hhzhang

Post by hhzhang »

Airconvent wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 12:09 am Thanks HH Zhang. You have alot of interesting objects. Hope to see your planets soon. :)
My high-res planetary photography has to wait until I have regained the lost interests in there and perhaps determination to purchase a looong FL SCT.

Haha
hhzhang

Post by hhzhang »

2021-Aug-7

So my fascination drove me to shoot the earthshine in the early morning. Better weather than yesterday's, but still too cloudy to have any hope for moon+constellations/asterisms.

The next chance of shooting earthshine will be after the new moon. Especially on the day of Aug 11, there will be fantastic conjunction of Venus and Moon. Will I have better luck then?