M50 Heart-Shaped Cluster

CCD vs Film? Lots of time vs no patience? Alright, this is your place to discuss all the astrophotography what's and what's not. You can discuss about techniques, accessories, cameras, whatever....just make sure you also post some nice photos here too!
celeron787

M50 Heart-Shaped Cluster

Post by celeron787 »

Messier 50 (M50), nicknamed the Heart-Shaped Cluster, is a large, bright open cluster located in the constellation Monoceros.

A small telescope reveals the cluster’s distinctive heart-shaped figure. M50 is composed of many young, hot, luminous blue stars. It also contains several yellow giants and a red M-class giant, which is positioned 7 arc minutes south of the cluster’s centre.

Annotated: http://nova.astrometry.net/annotated_full/4979310

Sony A6000
William Optics RedCat 51 Petzval APO
Sky-Watcher Star Adventurer
Star Adventurer Tripod

Singapore, Bortle 8
ISO800
Light Frames - 100 x 30secs (manually dithered in RA and DEC)
Dark Frames - 30 x 30secs
Flat Frames - 35
Bias Frames - 50

Deep Sky Stacker
StarTools - 50% bin, Autodev, Crop, Wipe, Super Structure, Color, Super Structure, Denoise

hhzhang
Favourite scope: 115mm APO

Re: M50 Heart-Shaped Cluster

Post by hhzhang »

A gem I missed on my target list. A rich and beautiful starfield that makes a nice wallpaper.

I checked my 16mm (APSC) wide-angle shot and identified a little small concentration as the cluster there.
celeron787

Re: M50 Heart-Shaped Cluster

Post by celeron787 »

hhzhang wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:13 pm A gem I missed on my target list. A rich and beautiful starfield that makes a nice wallpaper.

I checked my 16mm (APSC) wide-angle shot and identified a little small concentration as the cluster there.
Thanks! Quite interesting that there's a small part of seagull nebula at the left side, less than 1hr of integration time on a unmodded camera.