Milky Way : Image processing

CCD vs Film? Lots of time vs no patience? Alright, this is your place to discuss all the astrophotography what's and what's not. You can discuss about techniques, accessories, cameras, whatever....just make sure you also post some nice photos here too!
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
ya, its f5. Yes, the SS2K with 3 star align creates good enough tracking for 3 mins, not more. Its mounted on the scope.
Desura is not that far away from Singapore and it shouldn't affect the tracking since you can perform the 3 star alignment.

By the way, the image look a bit odd... some part is a bit smooth (or blur) and some part seem a bit pixelated. Is it cause by the processing or the jpeg compression (highly compressed jpeg)??

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
Meng Lee

Post by Meng Lee »

Hi,

Its due to the JPEG compression. I downsampled the image to 1/4 the size and apply more than 50% JPEG compression in order to fit 65kb. Those are compression artifacts.

:)
weixing
Super Moderator
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
Anyway, the colour is very nice... the last wide field I shoot (2 x 5 min in Mersing last year) don't have such nice colour... turn out to be a bit greenish after processing. I think may be I didn't set the white balance correctly... :oops: :oops:

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
cataclysm

Post by cataclysm »

Wah Nice! Colourfull Milky way!
Btw, at what FL was this pic taken Meng Lee?
Tachyon

Post by Tachyon »

Nice shot! But you didn't go all the way to Desaru to just take a wide-angle shot, right? :P Where are the other 'real' pics?
[80% Steve, 20% Alfred] ------- Probability of Clear Skies = (Age of newest equipment in days) / [(Number of observers) * (Total Aperture of all telescopes present in mm)]
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

Hi Meng Lee
You can avoid the 65k limit by uploading your pic on photobucket.com and linking it here. That way at least you can keep post the image at 1024x768 resolution.
cheers
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
Clifford60

Post by Clifford60 »

I thought the limit had moved up to 100kb filesize and 2MB limit. 2MB limit already implemented, what happen to 100kb filesize?
acc wrote: "Ok okie... shall increase to 2mb and 100kb. :) meanwhile if there are any volounteers who can help upgrade the php version pls pm me" in http://www.singastro.org/viewtopic.php? ... ght=#39486
weixing
Super Moderator

Post by weixing »

Hi,
I do a check, the limit for attachment of image file is still 65KB. Anyway, the attachment is for you to post documents or temporary image, such as item image for buy and sell which you'll delete away after the sales.

The album can post image up to 150KB, so you should post your image at the album instead of using attachment.

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
Meng Lee

Post by Meng Lee »

Hi

Weixing: The colour balance of this image is a huge headache. It took a long tweaking in order to get the colour roughly right. hehe it is still quite off. If you take the full res pic and zoom, Lagoon is still off colour. I can send you the full res image. (17Mb!)

Catalysm: Its 70mm Nikon lens

Tachyon: Well my D50 is in the case during the day, hehe did not take daytime pics.
Meng Lee

Post by Meng Lee »

Hi,

The almost full res image is found here:

http://sg.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/leek_m ... /my_photos