Eagle Nebula

CCD vs Film? Lots of time vs no patience? Alright, this is your place to discuss all the astrophotography what's and what's not. You can discuss about techniques, accessories, cameras, whatever....just make sure you also post some nice photos here too!
cataclysm

Eagle Nebula

Post by cataclysm »

Shot this last night. I started the imaging run late just to let the Gibbous Moon to set lower. It was really hazy all night long, but the Halpha filter helped a great deal in cutting down the glare from the city lights and the Moon.

Genesis SDF
Canon 350D (modified)
MiniBorg 50 as guidescope
SAC 4-2 guide camera
GM8
24x240s ISO800 with Baader Ha filter (luminance frames)
38x180s ISO800 with Astronomik UHC filter (colour frames)
Dark, Flat calibrated & stacked with ImagesPlus

Meng Lee

Post by Meng Lee »

Great shot! I want to try to image this someday also.

I was wondering how come the s/n ratio at the edges of the nebula is still quite low. Do you think its because the H alpha caused the DSLR to be at 1/4 its resolution and subexposures are still too short due to the presence of the H alpha filter?

Hehe, trying to figure out how to make best use of DSLRs.
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

Hi
Nice image! I can see the Pillars of Creation clearly but I think a better name for it would have been "Buddha's Palm" instead as that's what it looks like.
(not sure what level....heh heh).
Read recently that these "pillars" will not last long as they are being blown away by the central stars. Quick, take more pictures before they disappear in a few thousands years time!

rich
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
Very nice shot... :D :D

Anyway, weather lately was really hopeless... :( :( And now, it's full moon period... :(

Hope weather will improve soon.

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
Clifford60

Post by Clifford60 »

Very nice pic :D :D

The eagle like more like a rooster in this "wide" shoot. hehehe :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Last edited by Clifford60 on Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VinSnr
Administrator

Post by VinSnr »

Nice pic, but I find the use of the filters too aggressive until all the stars seem red and the picture too "hard"

Have you thought of using just a simple LPR filter?
aquillae

Post by aquillae »

awesome shot!
jeff
astro-cubicle :: www.astrojeff.com
cataclysm

Post by cataclysm »

Hi all thanks!
I was wondering how come the s/n ratio at the edges of the nebula is still quite low. Do you think its because the H alpha caused the DSLR to be at 1/4 its resolution and subexposures are still too short due to the presence of the H alpha filter?
Hi Meng Lee, yes i think the s/n ratio is on the low side. Halpha filter will peform better with longer exposures. Unless i can find an effective way to cool the camera, exposure beyond 4 minutes leads to horrible heat signatures on the canon slr. The alternative is to have longer integration time, ie: a lot more sub exposures.
cataclysm

Post by cataclysm »

Nice pic, but I find the use of the filters too aggressive until all the stars seem red and the picture too "hard"
Hi Vincent, thanks for the feed back. I am still trying to find the best 'blend' with the Halpha data. Here is another pic with Halpha data purely as luminance layer. I think the stars are more 'natural'.
Meng Lee

Post by Meng Lee »

you can read this about blending H alpha images:

http://www.robgendlerastropics.com/HARGB.html