Sundogs from Cameron Highland

CCD vs Film? Lots of time vs no patience? Alright, this is your place to discuss all the astrophotography what's and what's not. You can discuss about techniques, accessories, cameras, whatever....just make sure you also post some nice photos here too!
cataclysm

Sundogs from Cameron Highland

Post by cataclysm »

I don't have much luck with the night skies on my recent trip to Cameron Highland, but caught this interesting phenomenon at sunrise. It was taken from the resort balcony, the one on the right was covered by the vegetations.
Clifford60

Post by Clifford60 »

Very nice pic. Cameron Highland should get it from you to act as a poster to promote the place.
aquillae

Post by aquillae »

nice sundogs, overall the pic looks quite 3D
jeff
astro-cubicle :: www.astrojeff.com
rcj
Vendor

Post by rcj »

wow! very nice! good composition too.
Photon Bucket
http://www.celestialportraits.com
Facebook page: celestialportraits
ariefm71

Post by ariefm71 »

nice pic! which resort were you staying?
starfinder

Post by starfinder »

Great pic! I don't think i have seen a sundog before.

I have not been to Cameron Highlands for maybe 15-20 years. where did you stay? what was the temperature?

When i visited Cameron Highlands years ago in my childhood (1970s 1980s), it was always very cool, i.e. "like Cameron Highlands" as we would say. Used to stay at the spore govt chalet, "Cluny Lodge" which is perched on a hillside above the main village of Brinchang.

Incidentally, I was in Penang about 2 weeks ago. I went to the top of Penang Hill via the furnicular train, to the 700 or so metre level. It was a drizzly day, and it was noticeably cooler up there than below. I was quite surprised at this difference, given that it was only 700m (2300 ft)above sealevel.

I think Brinchang is about 5000 ft above sealevel.

I think Penang Hill, Cameron Highlands, Frasers Hill, etc, in Malaya were all British hill stations developed to escape from the tropical heat, just like those in India like Darjeeling, or perhaps Nuwara Eliya in Sri Lanka. Pity our dear Bt. Timah only rises to a miserly 163m
cataclysm

Post by cataclysm »

nice pic! which resort were you staying?
Hi Arief, I was at Strawberry Park Resort. It is a good get away for the whole family. With good facing you can stargaze at the balcony. I believe the night sky there can rival Mersing, that is if the sky is cooperating. My 2 nights there wasn't so lucky. Here are some pic of the resort:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

Looks unreal, man! Thanks for the pic.

Was at Strawberry park many years back. the mist is so thick at night you can't really see the stars.
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
raychan

Post by raychan »

I was in Cameron from 16-18 Jun. Brought my Celestron there, but virtually no stars at all. It rained throughout the entire 2 days I was there and the cloud cover was practically blanketing the entire mountain.

Was really hoping that the view would be better than SGP, but in the end, I couldn't even see a single star in the sky. :cry: