Orion Nebula (LRGB)

CCD vs Film? Lots of time vs no patience? Alright, this is your place to discuss all the astrophotography what's and what's not. You can discuss about techniques, accessories, cameras, whatever....just make sure you also post some nice photos here too!
rcj
Vendor

Post by rcj »

Did a version last night, to improve the colour in the core region. Notice that especially when the highlights are bright, the colour tend to be washed out as in the previous versions. With careful control of the tonal range, and a little more central saturation, the core now looks a little better, instead of it being a little 'greyscale' like in the center.

Photon Bucket
http://www.celestialportraits.com
Facebook page: celestialportraits
rcj
Vendor

Post by rcj »

Hi all!

Think this is about all. Gathered more 10 minute subs today, mostly on green and blue channels. Can't believe that the sky cleared long enough this week complete this project with only less than 2-hour permissible window period (before the object is obscured from view from the balcony). Each consecutive night, the clearing window thins as the nebula rises earlier each successive night. Tonight there was only a 1-hour permissible window period where there was no time to waste, yet again, no drift alignment was done, mount was there where it was from previous nights, quick calibration, and then data collection began. It was becoming ritualistic by now, and as more data is accumulated, the processing became easier, the colour balancing began to "click together" and "make sense" without much effort in figuring out what is overdoing, or under-doing, if there is such a word...

Total cumulative exposure time is about 4 hours total. Luminance no change, taken from old data from mersing. the rest of the colour channels are all taken from spore at the balcony, ranging from 5 min subs on average nights, to 10 min subs on better nights (like tonight and two nights back). tonight was spent obtaining more green and blue data channels, as such the colours are almost there! (hopefully it is!) And the luminance from mersing is not so overbearing by now, as compared to earlier attempts posted in this same thread.

think i will stop here, and end this project for now (until the opportunity to take colour data from mersing).

here goes, final! adios! getting tired of this image already! ciao! lol....

Last edited by rcj on Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Photon Bucket
rcj
Vendor

Post by rcj »

Hi all!

Think this is about all. Gathered more 10 minute subs today, mostly on green and blue channels. Can't believe that the sky cleared long enough this week complete this project with only less than 2-hour permissible window period (before the object is obscured from view from the balcony). Each consecutive night, the clearing window thins as the nebula rises earlier each successive night. Tonight there was only a 1-hour permissible window period where there was no time to waste, yet again, no drift alignment was done, mount was there where it was from previous nights, quick calibration, and then data collection began. It was becoming ritualistic by now, and as more data is accumulated, the processing became easier, the colour balancing began to "click together" and "make sense" without much effort in figuring out what is overdoing, or under-doing, if there is such a word...

Total cumulative exposure time is about 4 hours total. Luminance no change, taken from old data from mersing. the rest of the colour channels are all taken from spore at the balcony, ranging from 5 min subs on average nights, to 10 min subs on better nights (like tonight and two nights back). tonight was spent obtaining more green and blue data channels, as such the colours are almost there! (hopefully it is!) And the luminance from mersing is not so overbearing by now, as compared to earlier attempts posted in this same thread.

think i will stop here, and end this project for now (until the opportunity to take colour data from mersing).

here goes, final! adios! getting tired of this image already! ciao! lol....

Last edited by rcj on Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Photon Bucket
jiahao1986

Post by jiahao1986 »

cccccccrazy detail!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Clear skies please...
perseid
Vendor

Post by perseid »

kingkong wrote:CK, if Remus is going to run an imaging/PS workshop in A2008, I see you there, k?
I'll definitely try to attend. It is not always you can get an astrophotography sifu to give you imaging tip. Some more, just within one hour flying distance.

But first, need to get visa from wifey :wink:
Robin Lee

Post by Robin Lee »

Remus! You're a really good astrophotographer. I think I got to start imaging with a GEM instead of a fork mount. I'll still keep my lx90 for planetary imaging.
Clear skies,
Robin.

Cyclops Optics - QHYCCD, William Optics, Televue, STC & Optolong filters
Free shipping for purchases above SG$250
mymoon

Post by mymoon »

yes remus count me in too for the astrophotography workshop in 2008. Your picture of the orion nebula is the best I have seen. [smilie=admire.gif]

cheers