ISS seen from Penang

CCD vs Film? Lots of time vs no patience? Alright, this is your place to discuss all the astrophotography what's and what's not. You can discuss about techniques, accessories, cameras, whatever....just make sure you also post some nice photos here too!
perseid
Vendor

ISS seen from Penang

Post by perseid »

This morning at 6.01am, I photographed the ISS passed overhead as seen from Penang. I have used Sky-Watchers 180mm Maksutov with 2700mm focal length. The camera used is a modified Canon 350D. Manual tracking using AZ4 mount.

Gary

Post by Gary »

Wow! Cool stuff! Manual tracking somemore. Thanks for sharing!
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
timatworksg

Post by timatworksg »

Great job!! You can easily make it out!!

I saw it fly past last week over my home in Singapore! But was to late for me to grab a scope to take a closer look! Gleamed brightly in the sky!!
Hmm....should replace my broken Bino soon!!
My wife never complained about how much time, effort & money I spent on my Astronomy hobby!................suddenly I met her!!!
wintertriangle22

Post by wintertriangle22 »

Fantastic & unique photo of a space craft taken from earth with so many details visible [smilie=admire.gif]
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

Great photo. Its amazing you managed to nail it using manual tracking since it moves so fast. [smilie=cute.gif]
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
Nice shot!! I always want to try to shoot the ISS... [smilie=admire.gif]

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
perseid
Vendor

Post by perseid »

Thank you for all the nice comments.

This was my third attempt to image ISS. I found that manual tracking using AZ4 is easier. You need to align the finder scope accurately. During the transit, I only look through the finder scope, taking images as keep the ISS centered in the finder scope.

Here is an image of the Moon taken for the purpose of focusing. Inset is the image of ISS for you to get an idea of the size of the ISS in the sky. In fact, the size of the ISS is quite similar to Venus and Jupiter currently.

Gary

Post by Gary »

Moon looked gorgeous! Great comparison pic.
r-ion

Post by r-ion »

wow, nice pic, i got a question, how long can u spend taking the ISS before there is any sort of rotation that will prevent the shots from staking?
perseid
Vendor

Post by perseid »

I am not sure what you meant.

If I get you correctly, you were refering to stacking using video file. I am using DSLR camera and I took single shots of the ISS. The photo I posted was the best in the many shots where the ISS was in frame.