Astrophotography Works for 2010

CCD vs Film? Lots of time vs no patience? Alright, this is your place to discuss all the astrophotography what's and what's not. You can discuss about techniques, accessories, cameras, whatever....just make sure you also post some nice photos here too!
rcj
Vendor

Astrophotography Works for 2010

Post by rcj »

Hi all,

The following is a presentation of this year's (2010) astrophotography works done in Singapore and Malaysia. Some of the projects are incomplete due to weather, but some have also been left deliberately 'monochrome' a.k.a hydrogen-alpha works. I have created a new section on my website dedicated to H-Alpha projects (link). Had hoped to produce more colorized narrowband composites and had attempted a few images on this (mainly the twin nebulae in Carinae NGC3576 and 3703, and Eta Carinae). Also, for this year, I have tried to take some lesser-known nebulae rather than the usual boutique collection, mainly focused in Scorpius. All images presented here are taken through the Astrophysics 130GT and the ST8300M from SBIG. Incidentally, all of them are taken in Singapore! Something to encourage those embarking on astrophotography but unable to travel far to shoot. You can do it from your doorstep! :-)

Collection of Scorpius Lesser-known Nebulae in HA

NGC4628 (Prawn)

NGC6334 (Cat's Paw)

NGC6357

NGC6231 UV Cometary Globule (Singapore, something worthy of mention is that this NGC is normally associated with the popular open cluster, but to my surprise, the object of interest is also termed 6231 but associated with UV radiation from nearby hot stars. It is seriously dim, and I was glad to be able to pull out details from the Eunos balcony. Lastly, there seems to be no English name for this nebula, but perhaps it could be called the Witch's Finger Nebula! lol)

Some other HA works done this year

M17 (Swan)

IC1318 (Gamma Cygni up-close, was to be part of a mosaic project to capture more of the celestial fabric in the region)

Colourized NB Works

NGC3576 and 3703 (Singapore, This is a bicolor composite from HA and OIII components)

Extra: Here is the a 2-frame mosaic in HA of the above region

NGC3372 (Eta Carinae, Singapore) (Taken in Hubble palette SHO of colours, quite a big effort to bag enough long exposure subs for each channel enough to present it in an amalgam of smoothness and yet not making it too greenish often seen on the internet for this colour palette combination)

Hope you have enjoyed the images!

And hope to bag more in the coming new year!

Happy Hols'

Remus
Photon Bucket
http://www.celestialportraits.com
Facebook page: celestialportraits
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

Nice works Remus.
Looks like you were very busy in Eunos and not just eating the roti pratas! [smilie=cool.gif]
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
Gary

Post by Gary »

[smilie=wow2.gif] [smilie=wow2.gif] [smilie=wow2.gif] Where are the planetary photos? LOL
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
Bergkamp_
Favourite scope: Telescope that i can bring out

Post by Bergkamp_ »

nice~!
Wee Ern aRmeD wiF Telescope reAdY tO taKe ovEr thE skY .. wIF jUst mY naKed eYEs .
guangwei

Post by guangwei »

Outstanding work!!!!!! [smilie=wow.gif]
Clifford60

Post by Clifford60 »

Great JOB!! [smilie=good-job.gif] [smilie=admire.gif]
cataclysm

Post by cataclysm »

Was just wondering when you are going to show these. Superb! [smilie=admire2.gif]
timatworksg

Post by timatworksg »

Excellent and breathtaking!! Testament to the fact that though SG is cloudy, with some planning and forethought, the humble doorstep is as just a great spot to be for AP!! This should satisfy the thoughts of those who doubt the SG cloudy sky possibilities!!

Your a wonderful inspiration to all beginners in the field of AP!

Is that the Nebulosity in Scorpio that you SMS'd me about one night? Nice...very nice!!
My wife never complained about how much time, effort & money I spent on my Astronomy hobby!................suddenly I met her!!!
r-ion

Post by r-ion »

wow, amazing, really a encouragement to all people trying to do astrophotography in sinapore,

Thanks.
mch3898

Post by mch3898 »

Great pictures. Thanks for the inspiration to us beginners.

And a Happy New Year to all SingAstronians.
christopher