Anyone use Netbooks to connect to your CCD for capturing?

CCD vs Film? Lots of time vs no patience? Alright, this is your place to discuss all the astrophotography what's and what's not. You can discuss about techniques, accessories, cameras, whatever....just make sure you also post some nice photos here too!
shirox
Favourite scope: Takahashi FSQ85EDX

Anyone use Netbooks to connect to your CCD for capturing?

Post by shirox »

Hi guys,

I'm doing some planning for future AP and have some questions relating to equipments.
Will Netbooks be under powered to connect a let's say a Celestron NEXimage or Meade DSI.
Then comparing laptops, will apple perform better than windows if running image stacking programs?

Thanks!
orly_andico

Post by orly_andico »

I don't think capture is gonna be a problem.. but definitely for stacking you need all the CPU power you can get.

I'm using a Core 2 P9400 and when using DSS with a DSLR, it takes almost 10 minutes to stack ~10 images. But that's because the DSLR produces such huge files.

This is one of the added benefits of the Meade DSI... in addition to being more sensitive than a DSLR, the files are much smaller, so stacking and processing is a lot faster.
shirox

Post by shirox »

Thanks for the input! Yeah I was thinking of capturing then bring home to stack at my home pc which is better specced.
http://eltonastronomy.blogspot.com/

Mersing finally installed some water sink!
orly_andico

Post by orly_andico »

This may or may not be relevant, but I get these errors when using the Meade Envisage software to do capture once a certain number of sub-images are in the Meade capture directory.

As such I think it would be better to use Nebulosity. It is fairly cheap and works with a wide variety of cameras and formats including both DSLR's and the Meade DSI.
shirox

Post by shirox »

i'm trying to find a used toucam to get myself familiarize slowly lol
the temptation is big when i see all the nice photos taken.

taking one small step at a time lol

perseid
Vendor

Post by perseid »

Since my old laptop gone kaput, I used a netbook to do image capturing with DMK camera.

I encountered two major problems.
1) Even capturing at 640x480, I cannot view the entire capture window. This is because the netbook screen is only 800x600. Part of the display is already occupied by the software menu bar. End up I have to reduce the capture display to 75%

2) You need to transfer the data to your PC for processing. Netbook is 4x slower than your average PC. To transfer data, you need a portable hard disk. For my case, one night of Moon imaging will eat up 40GB. So, you need to transfer 40GB from netbook to hard disk, then again 40GB from hard disk to your PC's hard disk.

Since netbook have pros and cons, I can't offer any better solution. If you are OK with the above issues, then netbook is the way. A netbook nowdays only cost around SGD350 in Malaysia.
shirox

Post by shirox »

yeah perseid, i like the idea of travelling light. But of course if i managed to find a used 13 inch powerbook then everything is solved haha

kensou

Post by kensou »

i have a better suggestion for transfer.. use a ethernet cable and transfer will be faster :)
timatworksg

Post by timatworksg »

One thing to be wary about is to not overtax your netbook/laptop USB outlets. Different devices suck different power. Also to many things going through one of the USB outlets can cause conflicts or overpower another.
USB hubs help, but the same above implies. I run a DELL XPS laptop at home and tried plugging into a non powered USB hub, both a Meade DSI and Starshoot cam. One was imaging while the other was guiding through PHD. Due to the pulse guide signals of PHD, and the higher power needs of the Starshoot, I had PHD Hang and sometimes crash. Nothing serious, but a single output, though through a USB hub can't take it all! Unlike having a mouse, lamp, fan, IT stuff thats ok. But running Astro devices, the power consumption of them are more than a mere wireless mouse..lol!

To solve my prob, I run a Powered USB hub which has everything plugged into it! A USB2EQ5 TTL cable, GPUSB, Starshoot, DSI and even a wireless Logitech all goes into a powered hub. A single cable from hub to laptop and no issues as it runs on AC power. Yes I have to lay out a multi socket to my balcony! But thats easy cos Im at home.

In the field, you have to try to limit. Hence why a dedicated Guider (eg: SynGuider) works well as it runs on batteries! Also a DSLR and no worries about power/USB conflicts. Or SynGuider and a USB cam.
A Netbook should not have any issues unless your using a higher end ccd cam which takes bigger Megapixel images each sub!
Transferring to the home PC is minor though slow, but your at home and can afford the wait..lol!

The best is, try everything out! Test and run the software you need during a typical AP session. PLanetarium, Image acquisition software, PHD, etc etc and see how it all works. Then back off when there are probs. Also it the longer you image the battery gets sucked quick!

Just feedback...others may have different moments...but try, who knows! Lastly HAVE FUN!!
My wife never complained about how much time, effort & money I spent on my Astronomy hobby!................suddenly I met her!!!
kochu
Favourite scope: Sharpstar-107PH Triplet.

Laptop

Post by kochu »

I use a seven years old Toshiba XP /SP3 Laptop outdoors. It has 3 USB ports . I use one for DSI/ PHP, second one for Canon DSLR, third port through a hub for EQ-6 mount/EQDir, and a Gamepad for EQdir and GPUSB. All above through non powered USB. Never had any problem.
Still can use the Original battery for about 2 hrs. Because I always remove the battery when connected to mains, or Field battery.

Kochu/2-2-11