Pleiades or Seven Sisters (M45) Open Star Cluster

CCD vs Film? Lots of time vs no patience? Alright, this is your place to discuss all the astrophotography what's and what's not. You can discuss about techniques, accessories, cameras, whatever....just make sure you also post some nice photos here too!
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
This is the first target I took during the clear night on 24 Jan 2011. Intend to shoot at F6.3, but forget to switch back to F6.3 after testing the F8.0. Don't really like the "look" of the diffraction spikes cause by the Canon 400mm lens at F8.0... hopefully the spikes will not look so "unnatural" when I try to reshoot at F6.3 next time.

Anyway, for those who are new to Astronomy, this is a very beautiful and bright open star cluster in the constellation Taurus and can be easily seen using naked eye even in Singapore. For those who own a Subaru car, the car's logo is base on this open star cluster as "Subaru" is the name for Pleiades in Japanese.

Lens: Canon EF 400mm F5.6L @ F8.0
Camera: Mod Canon 450D
Mount: Vixen GPD mount (unguided)
Image: 60 images x 2 minute exposure @ ISO800

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
CHINKAHSHIUAN

Post by CHINKAHSHIUAN »

hi wei xiang, i have one question here, you said "Image: 60 images x 2 minute exposure @ ISO800", mean you have 60 photos and total is 2 minutes exposure? can you explain it to me? I am a beginner here.. thanks..
KS.Chin

Celestron CPC 800
WO Megrez 72mm Doublet DDG
Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 binocular

Blog: http://ksastronomy.blogspot.com

"Learn together, Share Together"
weixing
Super Moderator
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
CHINKAHSHIUAN wrote:hi wei xiang, i have one question here, you said "Image: 60 images x 2 minute exposure @ ISO800", mean you have 60 photos and total is 2 minutes exposure? can you explain it to me? I am a beginner here.. thanks..
It's mean 60 images of 2 minutes exposure for each image. Total integrated exposure is 120 minutes.

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
Zephyrus

Post by Zephyrus »

Nice stuff there, weixing! I'll be looking forward to the f/6.3 one! Btw why not shoot at f/5? Is it because you like the diffraction spikes at f/6.3?

And since I've moved completely into photography, if I were to shoot at the same settings as you with a non-modded camera, would I be able to achieve the same image?

Regards,
Zane
weixing
Super Moderator

Post by weixing »

Hi,
Zephyrus wrote:Nice stuff there, weixing! I'll be looking forward to the f/6.3 one! Btw why not shoot at f/5? Is it because you like the diffraction spikes at f/6.3?

I like to have some diffraction spikes on the brightest stars... Anyway, just check some test shots I took on that night and it's look like the F6.3 spikes will look just as bad... I think I'll reshoot at wide open(F5.6) next time which will have no diffraction spikes.
Zephyrus wrote: And since I've moved completely into photography, if I were to shoot at the same settings as you with a non-modded camera, would I be able to achieve the same image?

Regards,
Zane
Yes... should produce similar result.

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
kensou

Post by kensou »

yes! I have subaru car and I like pleiades! Nice shot although it have the feeling of slightly lost focus
cataclysm

Post by cataclysm »

Nice work Weixing! I like the colour rendition on the stars. :)
ben

Post by ben »

Hi Weixing,

I’m new to the forum and intend to start AP soon with son’s astronomy gears.
One question, what are the advantages to use camera lens than couple the DSLR directly to the OTA is it for portability and mobility?
timatworksg

Post by timatworksg »

Colors are nice and a great capture! Good job weixing..looks like you and your new toy are getting along well!!
My wife never complained about how much time, effort & money I spent on my Astronomy hobby!................suddenly I met her!!!
perseid
Vendor

Post by perseid »

I like the way you maintained the colour of the stars even after processing.

Even at F8, your image look fantastic. I am sure the nebulousity will show up very well when you set at F5.6. And you took this in Singapore! If taken somewhere darker, the image will be awesome.

I am sure you knew this, but you can still get the spike by attaching strings across your lens.