Camera solar filter

Wanna make a scope? Or better still, grind a mirror yourself. Or, you have some good tips in making a really useful accessory? This is the place to show what your hands can do...
Mariner
Favourite scope: Non as of now

Camera solar filter

Post by Mariner »

A simple (and cheap!) solar setup for your camera lens.

Ingredients:
- Elmer's glue/wood glue
- Solar film
- Pair of scissors
- Step-up ring (from your lens diameter to a bigger diameter ring, not the other way round)

1) Cut the solar film to fit inside the ring. Note not to cut it too small.

2) Spread a thin layer of white glue along the inner rim of the step-up ring (in this example, a 67mm to 72mm ring that fits onto a 67mm diameter lens)

3) Gently place the film onto the ring and glue it in place. Allow it to set for at least 12 hrs.

4) Screw the newly complete filter onto your lens and start snapping away.

You can dispense with the glue part by simply buying a UV filter of the stepped-up ring size and clamp the film in place.
OCULARHOLIC ANONYMOUS!!!
Keep Calm and Carry on Observing.
Gary

Re: Camera solar filter

Post by Gary »

Good stuff. Thanks for sharing!
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
Clifford60

Post by Clifford60 »

Thank for sharing, you can added a 72mm UV filter or ND filter if you need more protection. Do check for pin hole damage on the solar film, especially the 2~3 "dented" location.
Mariner
Favourite scope: Non as of now

Post by Mariner »

Hi Clifford,

I made this one for my friend and verified that there were no pin holes in any part of it. My personal one was a 62-67mm step-up ring and I did contemplate stacking his with mine to make it a double layer.

This is purely for camera so I'm thinking the UV filter may not be necessary, right? Could someone verify that UV rays are not good for the digicam sensors? Thanks in advance for the heads up.
OCULARHOLIC ANONYMOUS!!!
Keep Calm and Carry on Observing.
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
Mariner wrote:This is purely for camera so I'm thinking the UV filter may not be necessary, right? Could someone verify that UV rays are not good for the digicam sensors? Thanks in advance for the heads up.
Digital camera sensor are not so sensivity to UV, so basically will not affect image without one... UV filter today usually act as a protection filter for expensive lens.

Anyway, for me, I just put the solar filter between the lens and the UV filter as it's easier.

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen: