ASIGN Observatory II is back on track!

Wanna make a scope? Or better still, grind a mirror yourself. Or, you have some good tips in making a really useful accessory? This is the place to show what your hands can do...
Barry

Re: ASIGN Observatory II is back on track!

Post by Barry »

Finishing up.

If someone at church this weekend asks me, "How was your week? I would have to begin by saying, "WELL... WHERE DO I START - HOW MUCH TIME HAVE YOU GOT!?

I got some BIG NEWS last week that I can't yet let on about, but needless to say I have a very short time to get everything finished.

I've had a couple of friends over every day and every night working until late at night painting, plastering fixing wall-joiners and preparing for the carpet layers.

To add to our tight deadline, I have mysteriously injured my shoulder and am unable to lift anything heavy. It's been totally weird in that if I keep moving it feels ok, but if I stop and sit still I'm in agony.

anyway, one of my mates from work has been an absolute champion painting for me, even popping by at lunch time for half an hour on a work day to get things done.

We gave the inside of the dome a second coat of flat black paint, re-oiled the stairs and woodwork upstairs again and painted the plasterboard ceiling downstairs. At least I got to use my left arm a bit with the paint-brush and cut in the edges ahead of my friend with the roller.

My family electrician friend is away on holidays for a month, presenting me with the difficulty of finding another who can understand the wiring already routed and then finish the job - for the right price too!

The carpet layers arrived this morning, bringing with them WAAAAAY better carpet and underlay than the old stuff I had found second-hand.

These two guys were like magicians. They worked tirelessly throughout the day to lay, cut-in and join the carpets both upstairs on the observation deck and downstairs in the lounge area. Their skills were amazing to watch in action.

I couldn't believe how beautiful it turned out upstairs. The room is completely transformed. I was still reeling with pleasure when I saw the finished result downstairs! Wow.

With a final vacuum and a couple of Italian chairs tactically positioned, it looks good enough to live in.

Tomorrow I have a hardware tradie coming in to help me fix the two dome doors that roll sideways. The sliders I have used are not coping and have popped all their roller bearings all over the lawn below. Over the next few days I'll bring in the rest of the furniture and reinstall the telescopes and computer. The wiring leading from the house is not yet heavy duty enough to run heaters, kettle, toaster, fridge and everything else, so I will just get the lighting and power-points installed then upgrade the feed line later. I have to dig up the original 600mm deep trench and put in a thicker conduit plus add a data cable.

FULL STORY HERE

Barry

Post by Barry »

Now that the carpets are done, the electricians have visited and are about to start work in the next few days. In the meantime I have a little grace time to put in some trimmings.

1. I found some high density foam that is easy to carve with a blade and is sand-able. Not sure how it's going to look but I'm hoping once I paint it white to match the ceiling, it should look ok and certainly better than the ugly square hole around the top of the post.

2 & 3. Mitred dressed-all-round timber (DAR) for edging.

4. I had a few problems surrounding the threshold. The bolts protrude through the carpet are a trip hazard and also a fray point for the carpet. The carpet is smooth-edged to the threshold, but it is also higher, meaning that it will eventually work its way out. The threshold is also flat so water can migrate across it from under the door. I've solved all these issues with a fitted wooden plate that covers the edge, the bolts making them level with the surface and providing an edge to stop the water coming in.
cloud_cover
Favourite scope: 94.5", f/24 Ritchey-Chretien Reflector

Post by cloud_cover »

Wow! Really, really posh! Are you building an observatory or a man-cave? *grin*
DON'T PANIC
Barry

Post by Barry »

cloud_cover wrote:Wow! Really, really posh! Are you building an observatory or a man-cave? *grin*
BOTH! :mryellow:
Barry

Post by Barry »

No, this is not the, "BIG news" (that is coming very soon) but I got ASIGN Observatory II on the radio last month.

Click here to listen to the radio interview. >>> http://www.abc.net.au/local/photos/2013 ... 804216.htm

Audio file is down the page a little on the right.

Baz.
Barry

Post by Barry »

Through trials and tribulations, false starts and disappointments, many things seemed to conspire to come against getting the electricity done, especially on my non-exsistant budget.

I had to remind myself of the amount of times things have come against the different stages of this project and the subsequent amount of times when God's timing has been absolutely perfect to kick it off again. Nothing has happened before I was ready for it.

Finally, a qualified and experienced electrician donated a full Saturday to connect all the cabling that had already been run by another sparky. He translated all the cables, connected all the fittings and even donated a couple of his own to get the job finished. All this for a couple of cups of good coffee, a BBQ lunch cooked by my lovely wife and some home made hot-buttered banana cake baked by mum.

He switched the mains back on and PRESTO!!!! It all worked perfectly first go!

Not only that, but as the electricity was finalised last night, in perfect timing again, I got a phone call today from a friend asking if I needed a very large flat screen television.

He arrived this afternoon with the shiny black beauty which I plugged into a DVD player and away it went.

Apparently this thing was destined for the skip bin! It works perfectly and looks fantastic!

Now to just get the sucker mounted to the wall!

For a bit of balance in the room, I got the idea to make some wooden furniture in the form of a coffee table in front of the TV and also one in between the chairs for a lamp and remotes etc.

We cut down a very large dead eucalypt last week and one of the guys was good enough to cut me a couple of slabs off the base of the trunk as I have an injury at the moment that prevents me from overdoing it for a while. It was so big it lay in the tray of my ute for a few days before one of the boys dropped around to unload it for me. The top slab must weigh over 200 kilograms.

At lunch-time today I planed, sanded and de-barked them.

After some pensive moments and a short-black coffee that are often required after a sawdust shower, I hit them with a coat of boiled linseed oil.

My next door neighbour helped me roll them off the driveway, across the lawn and into the observatory.

Full story and photos HERE.
Barry

Post by Barry »

TV is mounted now.

Barry

Post by Barry »

OK boys and girls,

it's time to let you in on the big news! Yes, for the last few weeks ASIGN Observatory II has been gearing up to get ready for the TV crew from Australia's very own Better Homes and Gardens!

Miracle after miracle has been pouring in from friends, family, work mates and even total strangers from the internet giving their time, some generous donations and unfailing support. Not only that, but the timing of all of these things has been absolutley perfect as if by divine design - right down to the TV being donated the day after the electricity was all connected.

The crew arrived this afternoon and straight away, my nerves about meeting celebrities were put at ease as these very professional individuals were so down to earth. Russell and the film and sound guys were brilliant to work with and my eyes were opened at some of their film tricks and equipment. More on that when you see the show.

Johanna Griggs was as friendly, happy and graceful as you could imagine. I felt very at-ease with her questions in the on-camera interviews. The make-up lady was as much a part of the team, engaging as the rest while she powdered my shiny nose under the lights.

My darling wife worked like a trooper, baking biscuits for the team. They absolutely loved them.

Being a man left to his own devices without the quidance of his good wife, I goofed big as is my manly custom and right! There was a platter of bread on the bench which I took outside with the cakes. How was I supposed to know that there was a plate of cheese and salami in the fridge to go with it? You know... being a man and all.....

Anyways, watch out for the show on the 11th of October at 7pm on channel Seven. I'll post up links once they have it on their website after the show.

Thanks again to all who have made this possible. You know who you are.

Cheers and blessings!!!

Baz.
Gary

Post by Gary »

Well done and congrats! [smilie=good-job.gif]
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
Barry

Post by Barry »

Gary wrote:Well done and congrats! [smilie=good-job.gif]
Thanks Gary!

Baz.