DIY Half Pier for Celestron CG-4 Mount

Wanna make a scope? Or better still, grind a mirror yourself. Or, you have some good tips in making a really useful accessory? This is the place to show what your hands can do...
ggodetucsamoht

DIY Half Pier for Celestron CG-4 Mount

Post by ggodetucsamoht »

I have been eyeing on the Celestron Omni 150 Newtonian for quite sometime but after coming to understand the need of an extra half pier which will cost around $300 it really turn me off. Decided to shelf the idea aside.

Recently found this deal on the selling forum that someone is willing to let go his 5” SCT at reasonably good offer so I am willing to give it a try. Thanks Jonarsh for giving me this good deal. But the problem comes back to square one for the need of a half pier. Being a cheapo person I want everything good and cheap so I decided to fabricate my own pier.

Found this thread where someone actually did his own pier by making it from wood block so with this I got all the necessary dimension and blueprints.

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/ ... ll/fpart/1

After some thoughts I realised using PVC and its fittings will save me a lot and is much easier to work with using simple tools hence I began to roam around hardware stores and get all the materials that I need.

Last edited by ggodetucsamoht on Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ggodetucsamoht

Re: DIY HAlf Pier for Celestron CG-4 Mount

Post by ggodetucsamoht »

Top view of completed assembly....

Bottom view of completed assembly

Prior to paint work, i tried assemble up the mount onto the plastic pier and it prove to works completely fine and rather stable..
ggodetucsamoht

Post by ggodetucsamoht »

Took out the artefact and decided to give the overall job a paint.....this is the hardest and most time consuming process, finding the similar tone white colour is really no joke, cant get similar colour but no choice got to stick with a tone which little darker comparing to the tripod mount.

Before placing the pier i need to fit an extended thread rod onto the existing locking scre on the tripod

Turn the pier upside down and rest it firmly on the tripod....

Finally the assemble up of my 5" SCT on the CG-4 mount, looks cool and it really serve the purpose. Conclusion is nothing much on my DIY but save $300++ for better accessories.
Jonarsh

Post by Jonarsh »

Nice!!
Gary

Re: DIY Half Pier for Celestron CG-4 Mount

Post by Gary »

Good job! Thanks for sharing your DIY.

Keep us updated about its performance in actual field environment where the wind may be strong or when you add more accessories to your scope.
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
ggodetucsamoht

Post by ggodetucsamoht »

hi Gary, thks for compliments. Yesterday night tried to has my first light on jupiter at my corridor, although the wind level is not high but it should be quite stable. It is a single piece block and connected with a single rod so it should not topple off. I will find one day to have a field obs and see any effect if there is huge wind blowing.
Gary

Post by Gary »

Good stuff! Can start to take orders already. :)
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
Entrpy
Favourite scope: Astromaster lt70az(first scope)

Post by Entrpy »

I know I am commenting 7 years later and I do not expect a reply but I will try my luck. Does it work well? As little vibrations as without the pier extension? And is it tall enough so the weight does not hit the legs? :D I am also interested in a eq mount telescope and I am aware I need a half pier extension for it to work in our latitude so I am doing some research into this.
mrthomasyip
Favourite scope: 12" london bridge

Post by mrthomasyip »

Hi, i am the owner of this diy. I changed my forum name sometime back.

Yes, this diy works just fine. Vibration and every is as minimal as it should be and not an issue with visual uses. It is tall and the counterweight won't hit the tripod or any part of the mount too.

This project has been made several years ago and unfortunately i don't have it with me now. You can ask around for your ideal EQ mount and ask for opinion on the forum too.

Thomas
The Belief of Thomasology.
Subbupd

Post by Subbupd »

Looks great at first sight. Eager to learn more abt it