Franken Canon 5D2

Wanna make a scope? Or better still, grind a mirror yourself. Or, you have some good tips in making a really useful accessory? This is the place to show what your hands can do...
cataclysm

Franken Canon 5D2

Post by cataclysm »

Hi folks,

after some success with earlier mods on the smaller APSc cameras, it would be a natural progression to take on the full frame camera. This turned out to be more challenging than I had anticipated. After toiling over with it for more than 3 months, success at last!

Owing to it's bigger sensor and a more awkward way to introduce the cold finger, I need to employ a more aggressive cooling measures. To achieve sub-zero cooling, the camera has to be cooled with "brute" force with 2 stage peltier and liquid cooling. Hence the contraption looks like a science project gone wrong with the ungainly looking radiator hovering above the camera with appendages sticking out on both ends. :D

What matters is that it actually works! The camera survived the recent field testing at Mersing and churned out some wonderful images. Below are some pictures of the modified camera.

And here testing under Mersing sky with the actual setup

And here are the images taken with it

Clifford60

Re: Franken Canon 5D2

Post by Clifford60 »

Great job, looks like a mini version of Dr Otto from Spiderman 2. Sell the design concept to Canon, they will give you some 1D to mod and technical assistance. [smilie=good-job.gif] [smilie=good-job.gif] [smilie=good-job.gif]
Gary

Post by Gary »

[smilie=good-job.gif] Canon please take notes!
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
shirox
Favourite scope: Takahashi FSQ85EDX

Post by shirox »

Super camera!!!
http://eltonastronomy.blogspot.com/

Mersing finally installed some water sink!
ebeyonder

Post by ebeyonder »

Great project and success!
antares2063
Favourite scope: Newtonians

Post by antares2063 »

wow..the 2nd pic..Antares with M4 gc? ..stunning!
I miss the place where stars shine bright, to gaze upwards in awe of the sight
cataclysm

Post by cataclysm »

Thanks guys for the compliments!

Hi Jun Wei, the 2nd pic actually has resemblance to Antares region, is actually the entire Corona Australis constellation . The tiny globular cluster is NGC6723. The full frame sensor is able to cover a large swarth sky when mated to FSQ85. I was quite awestruck with the ability of the camera for extracting so much colours and details on the molecular cloud. :P
antares2063
Favourite scope: Newtonians

Post by antares2063 »

cataclysm wrote: Hi Jun Wei, the 2nd pic actually has resemblance to Antares region, is actually the entire Corona Australis constellation . The tiny globular cluster is NGC6723. The full frame sensor is able to cover a large swarth sky when mated to FSQ85. I was quite awestruck with the ability of the camera for extracting so much colours and details on the molecular cloud. :P
haha wow really like abit of deja vu , the positioning of the gc looked like part of a "slanted pentagon" which M4 is made of, and i thought the bottom star was Antares :P ....nice! thanks for clarifying :)

regards,
Junwei
I miss the place where stars shine bright, to gaze upwards in awe of the sight