Homemade motofocus

Wanna make a scope? Or better still, grind a mirror yourself. Or, you have some good tips in making a really useful accessory? This is the place to show what your hands can do...
A 5 YeaR Old

Post by A 5 YeaR Old »

here's their website http://www.ai.com.sg/

i think their workshop is in kallang ....
anat

Post by anat »

FYI, I finished a re-designed board using the PIC microprocessor in the original INEX board. I attempted this because the manufacturer may discontinue producing the board soon but they still supply the microcontroller. This homemade board is much smaller and cheaper. Now, we can have a low-cost autofocus-capable focuser :) I will provide the board diagram and ASCOM driver source code for interested people.

The board will go to Matthew soon :)

Anat
Last edited by anat on Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
FYI, I finished a re-designed board using the PIC microprocessor in the original INEX board. I attempted this because the manufacturer may discontinue producing the board soon but they still supply the microcontroller. This homemade board is much smaller and cheaper. Now, we can have a sub-US$25 autofocus-capable focuser I will provide the board diagram and ASCOM driver source code for interested people.
I think you still need the programmer to "burn" your program to the EPROM or whatever and a compiler or interpreter for your source code, right?? How much does the compiler/interpreter and the programmer cost?? Been out of touch in the microcontroller field for quite a long time.

Anyway, I'm thinking of adding a microcontroller base "GOTO" to my Vixen GP mount when I have more time and fund... :)

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
anat

Post by anat »

Weixing:

I bought the programmed PIC microcontroller. So, there is no need to burn the chip. The source code that I mentioned is for the ASCOM driver used to interface with any astro software.

For your GP, you may find the littlefoot controller interesting.
http://littlefoot.rajiva.de/

Anat
anat

Post by anat »

I am getting close to the final stage of development. :) Buttons are built-in and everything is packed in the palm-sized control box. Those are buttons for:
On-Off
Manual-PC control (including Autofocus)
Move-in
Move-out
Motor release
Speed control

Anat
Last edited by anat on Thu May 05, 2005 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
anat

Post by anat »

History of the development :)
MooEy

Post by MooEy »

looks gd, going comercial soon?

~MooEy~
anat

Post by anat »

Thank you, MooEy. My immediate plan is to provide all information including PCB drawings and purchasing sources to make this motorized focuser on a website. I would like to demonstrate that we don't need to resort to any expensive solution to get motorized focus and autofocus which is essential for webcam/CCD/DSLR astrophotographers. It costs about US$50 if you do it yourself. By this solution, I may get about 80% (or more) of what the expensive solution gives but I pay only 10% of that :) Any comment is welcome.

BTW, the official name of this stuff is "EzyFocus" :oops:

Anat
anat

Post by anat »

With valuable comments from Matthew and singastronomers, this project becomes a real product ...
First computerized/computerless DSLR autofocuser
http://www.xactfocus.com/

Admin, please don't change my name's color to Pink. I will have less power :)

Happy new year.
Anat
kingkong

Post by kingkong »

good work anat!
now.... how about something for autotracking the lxd75 using a pda...? ;-)