DIY half-pier?

Wanna make a scope? Or better still, grind a mirror yourself. Or, you have some good tips in making a really useful accessory? This is the place to show what your hands can do...
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
this version will hold up a slightly unbalanced unweighted mount even before the threaded rod is fastened into the mount, unaided by anything but the PVC parts. I suspect you can't even do that with the vixen half-pier WeiXing showed us in the photo - since it has a flat bottom.
Did you actually use it in this way??? If not, then it is not an real advantage over the Vixen design. Even it can be use without tighten the screw, I think nobody will want to take the risk. :)

Anyway, I think due to the short length of the PVC, it should be strong enough for visual use.... but I think you need to balance your scope carefully.

By the way, may be you should test whether your PVC will bent by aiming at a terrestial object far away using very high magnification. It should be obvious if the PVC start to flex a bit. I think you better don't use it if the PVC show sign of bending.

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
MooEy

Post by MooEy »

hmm..i think the sx half pillar can be used without tightening the knob below. we did that during the first night. someone did not level the half pillar properly and then proceed to tighten the azimuth adjustment on the half pillar. nobody figured out the mistake until we took down the setup that night.

~MooEy~
MCYM

Post by MCYM »

Hi Arief

I am afraid i dont have a concrete answer to your question since that i have not done any objective test on both configuration. But if i were to take a shot in the dark, I would guess these is no difference as long as the distance of the optical path from 6.3FR remains the same. (ideally at about 88-90mm for 0.63 reduction) The smallest opening in the optical train is remains at 44mm at the back of the 8"SCT.

From an imaging perspective with DSLR, this "Eyeopener" is to facilitate the use of 2" filters between the imaging train. This move is to eliminate as much vignette as the SCT allows on a DSLR Frame. Nonetheless some still exist due to other optical factors and skyglow conditions. But it is an improvement for sure.

and... Hello King Kong

The quarter pier that i made can be fitted to most light weight mount with the right adapter (mount base diameter less then 4.5"). I use it with LXD500 and LX55. However now i am contemplating a making a bigger one for a larger mount.

All the best to your forthcoming projects.

Matthew
kingkong

Post by kingkong »

MCYM wrote:The quarter pier that i made can be fitted to most light weight mount with the right adapter (mount base diameter less then 4.5"). I use it with LXD500 and LX55. However now i am contemplating a making a bigger one for a larger mount.
ok, now i see.... so it's a 2-piece design...
that's a good idea.
thanks Mathew.