Hey who makes their own mirrors?

Wanna make a scope? Or better still, grind a mirror yourself. Or, you have some good tips in making a really useful accessory? This is the place to show what your hands can do...
AGMI

Hey who makes their own mirrors?

Post by AGMI »

mirror mirror on the wall which is the homemade one of them all
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
Currently, I think only Micheal make his own mirror in SingAstro. :)

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

weixing wrote:Hi,
Currently, I think only Micheal make his own mirror in SingAstro. :)

Have a nice day.
don't forget Kochu! you saw his huge Dob and home-polished mirror...
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
laurentli

Post by laurentli »

I am trying to make my own mirror, and I want to find service in plating, glass
river

Post by river »

can try asking one of our singastro vendor perseid, he make mirror too.
perseid
Vendor

Post by perseid »

I can grind my own mirror and until recently, I even coated my own mirror with silver. My company has the facility to do optical filter. It can be used to do telescope mirror coating. Unfortunately, my company has just decided to relocate their machine to their plant in Johor. As such, I don't have the coating capability now.
Unless you want to make really large mirror, then it is not that practical to make your own mirror. The cost of finished mirrors up to 12" in diameter are very affordable.
Tachyon

Post by Tachyon »

Johor is really close to Singapore! Maybe I can revive my 30" Dob project... hmmm....
[80% Steve, 20% Alfred] ------- Probability of Clear Skies = (Age of newest equipment in days) / [(Number of observers) * (Total Aperture of all telescopes present in mm)]
river

Post by river »

If you have the passion to do something, just do it. The experience, knowledge/skill gained are priceless. Something you dont get it by buying a mirror at a lower "cost".
-2 cent.
jermng

Post by jermng »

Perseid, do you use your own mirrors for the truss dobs you sell or do you use GSO mirrors? BTW, do you still make those dobs? :)
Jeremy Ng
C8, CR-150HD, TMB 80 f/6
Orion SVP Intelliscope, AstroSlew I
Minolta Activa 12x50WA
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
People make their own mirror normally because
1) For learning purpose or for fun, or
2) To reduce the cost when making a big telescope (> 12"), or
3) To make a highly accurate mirror.

If you just want to learn how to make your own mirror even you can't use it in the end, then go ahead and make one.

If you want to make a telescope and use it later, then it is more practical to buy the mirror and all the required parts.

By the way, most telescope DIY guys don't actually make everything themself... most of them just buy most of the parts from the market telescope base on their design specification and assemble the telescope.

Have a nice day.

PS: Astro Scienitific Centre may still have one or two set of glass for making mirror (I think 6") available, but I don't think it'll be cheap.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen: