Where to get Teflon bearings?

Wanna make a scope? Or better still, grind a mirror yourself. Or, you have some good tips in making a really useful accessory? This is the place to show what your hands can do...
chrisyeo

Where to get Teflon bearings?

Post by chrisyeo »

In a conversation with Choon Kiat, he said that teflon can be bought in sheets from hardware shops..

Anyone know where I might be able to find teflon for making bearings for dobsonian mounts?

Thanks!
ariefm71

Post by ariefm71 »

try Homely Hardware Supercentre
No. 1 Ubi Crescent #01-01 Number One Building
mickath

Where to get Teflon

Post by mickath »

Hi Chrisyeo,

My name is Mickath, You can get Teflon in shops selling pipes and metal sheet for foundary. We can get it in Penang but not sure about Singapore. You can use other material such as the white plastic chopping board as a substitude if you can't find any.

Thanks

Mickath
kayheem

Re: Where to get Teflon

Post by kayheem »

mickath wrote:Hi Chrisyeo,

My name is Mickath, You can get Teflon in shops selling pipes and metal sheet for foundary. We can get it in Penang but not sure about Singapore. You can use other material such as the white plastic chopping board as a substitude if you can't find any.

Thanks

Mickath
Hi Chris,

Speaking of substitutes, you can get the usual machinist shops to machine out some delrin or nylon for you. With a little lubricant e.g. WD40, it is very slippery. Good thing about machining it is you can get parts to fit together e.g. the nylon pads machined to the right curvature to fit the PVC end caps.

For flat surfaces, there are furniture gliders of different sizes. Some are as big as 5cm diameter. These are available from hardware shops e.g. Hands DIY, Handifix etc and are grey in colour.

Kay Heem
mickath

Post by mickath »

I have tried wax on smoothened timber surface without Teflon, I tried it on my dobsonian before I managed to find Teflon selling shop.