12" Refractor in Making

Wanna make a scope? Or better still, grind a mirror yourself. Or, you have some good tips in making a really useful accessory? This is the place to show what your hands can do...
MCYM

12" Refractor in Making

Post by MCYM »

Hi to All

Just like to share the joy

This year Christmas present came early. My US friend sent me a monsterous 12" f3.5 triplet and naturally, i was a over the roof.

As a co-owner, we have engage the help of contractor to fabricate an make shift wooden OTA for testing before proceeding to a aluminium version. The finish product will remain quite portable and fit into any car. Total OTA design weight would not to exceed 25kg with the lens itself standing at 15kg

Most likely this project that will keep my hand full for months. Of course, once it is completed, everyone will have a chance to look through it during future starparties.

Matthew
MCYM

Post by MCYM »

Opps.. moderator, wrong forum headings. Should be ATM instead.
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
WOW!!! A 12" F3.5 Triplet.... :k-inlove: :k-inlove: :k-inlove:
Your friend must be Bill Gate, right :k-woohoo: ??

WOW!!! Then it will be the largest Triplet Refractor in Singapore, South East Asia or even Asia make by Amateur!!! :-k-yeah:

:drool: :drool: :drool: I'm getting dehydrated :k-shock: :k-lol:

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
MCYM

Post by MCYM »

Hi WeiXing

Bill Gate.... i wish.

It's a military surlpus lens. It did not cost us a fortune but it is beleive it cost the tons of $ to produce a lens of this focal ratio.

Hope to finish building it by new year.
Will post pictures shortly

Matthew
kayheem

Re: 12" Refractor in Making

Post by kayheem »

MCYM wrote:Hi to All

Just like to share the joy

This year Christmas present came early. My US friend sent me a monsterous 12" f3.5 triplet and naturally, i was a over the roof.

As a co-owner, we have engage the help of contractor to fabricate an make shift wooden OTA for testing before proceeding to a aluminium version. The finish product will remain quite portable and fit into any car. Total OTA design weight would not to exceed 25kg with the lens itself standing at 15kg

Most likely this project that will keep my hand full for months. Of course, once it is completed, everyone will have a chance to look through it during future starparties.

Matthew
THUNK....ooops...that was my jaw dropping and hitting the floor. Wow! a 12" refractor! What focuser will you be using?
Kamikazer

Post by Kamikazer »

its a deep-sky astrograph!!!
madness!!!
K.L. Lee
nF
Administrator

Post by nF »

*Topic moved
.___.
{O,o} O'RLY?
/)__)
-"-"-
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

Hi Matt,
My goodness! 12"???? That's like even better than a 10" SCT and without the contrast penalty too. Cool, man.
PLEASE remember to post step by step pictures from its design , fabrication, installation and testing. (maybe a shot of you designing at a table?!!)

good luck on your project !

rich
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
MCYM

Post by MCYM »

Thank you for your well wishes.

Will certainly keep you guys updated while i am anxiously looking fwd to look through it.

Ideally a 4" focuser would fit the bill, but sadly they dont come cheap. So in the meantime a 2" focuser will take its place although it cuts a little into the light cone.

Btw here are some preview pictures.
http://pachome1.pacific.net.sg/~audiowo ... tm#Triplet
(May take a while to load)

I am not sure it could qualify as an astrograph yet. To do so, it has to be flatfield to certain extend of the image circle.
Nonetheless it should be a perfect instrument for narrow band imaging with line filters such as OIII, Ha, SII etc to mitigate CA influence.
That is... if i could borrow a hefty mount to track it.

Matthew
MooEy

Post by MooEy »

yeah, seems to me that it is a wonderful narrow band imaging platform. 1000mm of focal length seens just nice for nebs. the high contrast system allows imaging of fainter objects. do keep us inform of ur progress.

~MooEy~