DIY Objective Prism Spectroscopy

Wanna make a scope? Or better still, grind a mirror yourself. Or, you have some good tips in making a really useful accessory? This is the place to show what your hands can do...
NGC 5139

DIY Objective Prism Spectroscopy

Post by NGC 5139 »

Hello all,

I would like to ask, does anyone have any idea how to make an objective prism spectrograph that could work on a 5-inch maksutov? I read that it is possible to make one. Alternatively, does anyone think that attaching a prism to a SLR would work too?

Regards,
Omega Centauri
AGMI

Post by AGMI »

Do You Believe That Forks Are Evolved From Spoons?
NGC 5139

Post by NGC 5139 »

Hello everyone,

I tried a method I found on the net and modified it, it works! I am using a Nikon FM on tripod with telephoto lens (70mm to 300 mm).

1. Get one of those things (like a protruding shade) mounted on the aperture of the camera.
2. Take a piece of cardboard, cut a hole through it, enough for the slitless Rainbow Optics transmission grating available from http://www.starspectroscope.com at about 150-250 USD (I think)
3. Stick the grating with blu tack to the cardboard hole
4. Stick the cardboard + grating set up onto the camera shade thingie
5. Point it at some street lights to test first, ensure the spectrums are horizontal and absorption line you get are perpendicular- vertical.
6. Now look for a star (a bit tricky to get the spectrum here). Take a 4-5 minute shot (dont forget the cable release) unguided. NO equatorial mount or any mount with a motor is needed. The absorption and emission lines ought to turn up in the developed image :)

I slept 4 hours last Friday while camping at Changi Beach- keeping awake for all this imaging. My last shot was the spectrum of the rising sun. Being the careless astrophotographer- my mistake rendered my 6 hours of keeping awake useless. I forgot to press the silver little button on the bottom of the SLR. Whack, the reel broke into 2. That was the sad end to my first spectroscopic experience- it certainly broke my heart.

Nevertheless, if you are interested, feel free to PM me to discuss other potential methods :).