Any counterweight alternative ?

Wanna make a scope? Or better still, grind a mirror yourself. Or, you have some good tips in making a really useful accessory? This is the place to show what your hands can do...
kohjb

Any counterweight alternative ?

Post by kohjb »

I'm really irritated at having to lug around my counterweights, which really seem quite "useless". Seems like that amount of weight could be put to some other use, while it's performing its weighting function. You know, like if it could be lead acid batteries that provides power while being a counterweight ?

Alternatively, I was thinking that if I could do away with the counterweight completely, it would certainly ease the burden on travelling. Has anyone come up with alternatives ?

I was thinking of something that could use a torsional spring of some sort that provides an opposing force at an adjustable point on the counterweight bar. Or one or two linear springs (bungee cords?) that attached to the tripod legs to provide the balancing force.

Still brainstorming, but I would think it's worth mulling over to save some poor sods broken toes some day :roll:

If anyone has links to any counterweight alternatives, do lemme know !

Thanks.
JB
Celestron 9.25SGT, Meade ETX125, Orion ED80
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
If you are using a small scope, then you can use the SLA battery as a counter-weight... have seen someone doing that. But you are using the C9.25, so not practical to use SLA battery as a counter-weight... either too bulky or too light.

Anyway, this is something that quite difficult to replace. May be you can reduce the counter-weight by using a longer and stronger counter-weight shaft and put the counter-weight at the end of the shaft. I think only workable if you use a full pier.

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
ariefm71

Post by ariefm71 »

For dobs, you can use a pair of springs as an alternative c/w to balance the dob, see Tom Krajci's web page: http://education.gsu.edu/spehar/FOCUS/A ... krajci.htm
kohjb

Post by kohjb »

No No...me no want for dobs. For the CG5-GT mount. I do wonder why the springs are used for dobs and no one has come up with similar things for GEMs ? Must be something I'm missing....duh....
Celestron 9.25SGT, Meade ETX125, Orion ED80
VinSnr
Administrator

Re: Any counterweight alternative ?

Post by VinSnr »

kohjb wrote:I'm really irritated at having to lug around my counterweights, which really seem quite "useless". Seems like that amount of weight could be put to some other use, while it's performing its weighting function. You know, like if it could be lead acid batteries that provides power while being a counterweight ?

Alternatively, I was thinking that if I could do away with the counterweight completely, it would certainly ease the burden on travelling. Has anyone come up with alternatives ?

I was thinking of something that could use a torsional spring of some sort that provides an opposing force at an adjustable point on the counterweight bar. Or one or two linear springs (bungee cords?) that attached to the tripod legs to provide the balancing force.

Still brainstorming, but I would think it's worth mulling over to save some poor sods broken toes some day :roll:

If anyone has links to any counterweight alternatives, do lemme know !

Thanks.
JB
For counterweight, I dun think you can do any replacement except having a longer shaft. Your scope is not light, not worth risking your scope over alternatives.

Are you driving in the first place? If you are, those extra weights should not be a problem.
MooEy

Post by MooEy »

hehe, vixen has thought of that long ago, they use the motors as counterweight in the sphinx mount. for bigger scope, u can add a 1.9kg counterweight that will balance a 8" newt.

~MooEy~