Re-Greasing Mount and Super Lube

Wanna make a scope? Or better still, grind a mirror yourself. Or, you have some good tips in making a really useful accessory? This is the place to show what your hands can do...
jermng

Re-Greasing Mount and Super Lube

Post by jermng »

Hi,
Anyone here has any experience re-greasing and improving a CG-5 or SVP or other similar mounts?
Care to share what grease you used or what you did?

On that note, anyone knows where to find Super Lube Grease in Singapore? Something like THAT.
Thinking of doing up my mount during the rainy season .. =)
Jeremy Ng
C8, CR-150HD, TMB 80 f/6
Orion SVP Intelliscope, AstroSlew I
Minolta Activa 12x50WA
kayheem

Post by kayheem »

Whenever a question comes up like that, this website comes immediately to mind:

http://www.astronomyboy.com/cg5/

I think small quanities of lithium grease can be found a DIY stores like Handifix.

Kay Heem
jermng

Post by jermng »

Thanks KayHeem ..

A question though .. What is a "dremel tool"? I'm not very good with these stuff cos my sec school didn't offer a "Technical" module .. though I can use a screwdriver properly .. hee hee ..

Another thing bout grease, I've read in CloudyNight's forum that not all grease are created the same which is why I was looking for Super Lube ... I got a tub of Lithium grease from HomeFix last time but it didn't help ... =(

Thanks again! =)
Jeremy Ng
C8, CR-150HD, TMB 80 f/6
Minolta Activa 12x50WA
kayheem

Post by kayheem »

Dremel tool:
http://www.dremel.com/HTML/home_fr.html

Why are you looking at the Dremel tool?

Did you take apart the entire mount to remove the original sticky 'grease' first before re-lubing with the lithium grease?

I did it with my first CG5 and it was very smooth after that.

Kay Heem
jermng

Post by jermng »

Hi,
According to Andy's Shot glass and I think AstronomyBoy too, they use a Dremel tool to smoothen the edges in the gears and other parts ...

Yeah I took out the old grease before putting in the new ...

What did you do with your CG-5? Just change the grease? Did you do anything else? I seriously wanna do something to the mount since I'm having a hard time balancing cos the axes just stay stuck when I free them - there is a large margin for error now .. wanna improve that ... =)
Jeremy Ng
C8, CR-150HD, TMB 80 f/6
Minolta Activa 12x50WA
kayheem

Post by kayheem »

Hi,

If you do not have experience handling a dremel tool, I suggest that you do not do it. I do not think the gears need smoothening. Just remove the old grease with turpentine and re-lube with lithium grease. The guys in USA have specific recommendations for the grease because they need a grease that does not thicken in cold weather.

If you really want to treat the contact surfaces, use emery cloth instead. This is the 'sandpaper' for metal. Usually in a dark purple/grey colour available in hardware stores, and they come in different grades.

A dremel tool can cause serious permament damage to the contact surfaces and gears if you are not careful, seeing it is motorized.

Kay Heem
qu1xs1lv3r

Post by qu1xs1lv3r »

can i re-grease my equatorial mount too? but im not sure which model it is...
Robin Lee

Post by Robin Lee »

You can do it for sure. Lithium grease is the most widely used for mounts. There is a gear in the mount that you cannot put any grease on it. I forgot what's it. Instead, you have to "sharpen" it.
Clear skies,
Robin.

Cyclops Optics - QHYCCD, William Optics, Televue, STC & Optolong filters
Free shipping for purchases above SG$250