Vixen Super Polaris photoguider a.k.a Vixen SP mount

Wanna make a scope? Or better still, grind a mirror yourself. Or, you have some good tips in making a really useful accessory? This is the place to show what your hands can do...
kamayok3

Vixen Super Polaris photoguider a.k.a Vixen SP mount

Post by kamayok3 »

Hi,

Let me introduce my latest modification of Vixen Super Polaris Photoguider portable mount. This concept actually came from a vixen product called Vixen GP photoguider mount.

The purpose of this design is to let wide field astrophotography more easy to access. Actually my design can be listed in two types of setup. First type is with half pillar attached. Second type is without half pillar attached. So, photos above are consider as a first type of setup. My guidescope either can be put on the upper plate or bottom plate. My camera will be place on either one of the plate.

What is the purpose of the hole in the center of the plate? Actually the hole is design to do polar alignment. Maybe one day I can carry this setup to a country that Polaris is located at high altitude. :)

How about second type of setup?

Hah....My second type of setup is without the half pillar. After polar alignment/drift alignment, my guidescope will be attached on the bottom plate. So, my camera with either telephoto lens or wide angle lens can be attached on the upper plate. Guiding process will be more easy and also cut down the weight of the whole setup.

So, how about the Southern and Northern skies shooting?

Hmm.....I got another setup is for this situation as well. Please see the photos below:

This setup is easy to access the skies of southern and Northern part. I can setup a camera with telephoto lens just side by side with the guidescope and point to either southern or northern skies. With wide angle lens also shouldn’t be a problem.

Thanks to the Vixen super polaris mount design. So that I can thought of this photoguider modification. Now, I can say goodbye to the more expensive version of Vixen GP photoguider. :))

The mount case plus the wood tripod is around 13kg.

Before I end this, I also wish to thank Remus(Singastro) and Mr. Liew CW (Starfinder) for helping me to get the 70mm guidescope and also the photoguider finishing.

Kindly provide me some opinions and suggestions on this design.

Regards,

Tommy
anat

Post by anat »

Tommy:

Neat setup. Is that the Mizar 70mm scope? Get a ball head and enjoy photography. BTW, you may need a counterweight.

Anat
ariefm71

Post by ariefm71 »

is that the sp mount i sold you last year? :-)
kamayok3

Post by kamayok3 »

Hi,

Ariefm71, this is the mount that you sold it to me.

Anat, I thought of the it already....this setup can balance without counterweight. The 70mm is not Mizar...it just a normal short tube.

Regards,

Tommy
starfinder

Post by starfinder »

Hi Tommy,

Nice set-up!

BTW, my nic is Starfinder, but I'm not Mr. Liew. Maybe you meant starfield, or starfirez.
kamayok3

Post by kamayok3 »

Hi,

hahah....Starfinder is one of the Astronomical Society in Malaysia.

Full name is Starfinder Astronomical Society.

Tommy