Shall I build a 14.5"???

Wanna make a scope? Or better still, grind a mirror yourself. Or, you have some good tips in making a really useful accessory? This is the place to show what your hands can do...
ariefm71

Shall I build a 14.5"???

Post by ariefm71 »

Since I finally found my dream Orange Tube C8, do you guys think I should sell my 10" Zambuto newtonian and use the money to build a 14.5" dob using Stevens/Royce mirror?

Pro's of 14.5"
- bigger aperture
- bigger aperture
- bigger aperture

Con's of 14.5"
- MUCH bigger structure, Yang-beng may not allow me to tom pang again, must get an MPV or van (in other words, exposure to mersing skies may be limited due to space constrains especially since we have two other 15" zambutos in the making)
- i can't think of any other else.

so how???
Last edited by ariefm71 on Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
First measure the door(s) width of your house, then measure the door's width of your block lift... Hmm... I think you need a bigger house (I mean door) and a bigger car.. ha ha ha :P :P

After that, you can go straight to an 16" or larger... forget about 14".... ha ha ha :D :D :D

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
ariefm71

Post by ariefm71 »

ok, done measuring the doors. they just fit nicely a 14.5" structure!!! :D
MooEy

Post by MooEy »

bleh, y would anyone ever sell their 10" zambuto. i always feel that a zambuto in the 7-10" range would make the ultimate scope, in terms of optics, aperture and portability. prolly take me at least another 5-10 years to outgrow my 8" portaball, there's already so much to see with just 8". i would love a 14.5", but it's not gonan be my most often used scope.

~MooEy~
acc
Administrator
Favourite scope: Mag1 Instruments 12.5" Portaball

Post by acc »

Unless its below F5, IMO a 14" dob is really getting too big and ungainly... And it will take a great deal of skill and patience to build a quality structure. But if you do go ahead, pls invite us for first light! :)
We do it in the dark...
Portaball 12.5"
Takahashi Mewlon 210
William Optics 110ED
...and all night long!
Canopus Lim

Post by Canopus Lim »

If you make 14.5 inch.. It had better be able to fit into a taxi.
AstroDuck
VinSnr
Administrator

Re: Shall I build a 14.5"???

Post by VinSnr »

ariefm71 wrote:Since I finally found my dream Orange Tube C8, do you guys think I should sell my 10" Zambuto newtonian and use the money to build a 14.5" dob using Stevens/Royce mirror?

Pro's of 14.5"
- bigger aperture
- bigger aperture
- bigger aperture

Con's of 14.5"
- MUCH bigger structure, Yang-beng may not allow me to tom pang again, must get an MPV or van (in other words, exposure to mersing skies may be limited due to space constrains especially since we have two other 15" zambutos in the making)
- i can't think of any other else.

so how???
Honestly, I think 14.5" is for people who more or less have a permanent observation site. Like for example if you are staying in a landed area. Even for my 11" I have thought of putting it permanently back in my house in JB where I have the garage, the land and a darker sky for it. The thought of hauling it down the lift now with other accessories and into car and then setup, tear down , back to the car, back to the lift, and back to the house is enough to put me off. Do that 10-20 X a year and either my aged back is gonna give way or I will turn into an Arnold Jr. I think more likely the former. A 14.5" is gonna be twice worse. Maybe my heart will also give way. And I have long recognise that my age has long past such strenous activities, although I may look young.... :oops:

And what's the point of having a big scope but stored at home all the time? The best scope is not the big one, but the one that we often use.

So tink carefully bro. I also went through the same thoughts like you and settled for a 11" where I thought it was a good compromise between effort and views. Put a video on that 11" and I get a 33" scope. Considering that we are not getting any younger, I thought that's the best way to go.....but if you really must have a 14.5" scope then just invite me over!
Tachyon

Post by Tachyon »

Arief - I'm sure you have already made up your mind. Why wait? Prices for pyrex is not going to go down, you know... :)

As to how often you use the scope - does it matter? Some lucky guy is probably going to buy it from you once you have finished it! Heh..
[80% Steve, 20% Alfred] ------- Probability of Clear Skies = (Age of newest equipment in days) / [(Number of observers) * (Total Aperture of all telescopes present in mm)]
VinSnr
Administrator

Post by VinSnr »

Tachyon wrote:As to how often you use the scope - does it matter? Some lucky guy is probably going to buy it from you once you have finished it! Heh..
Quite true...he build scope to sell.....not use.

Arief, why dun u start a dob shop and make scope full time?

Be a WOptics of the reflector world. Truly Asian, good quality and good value. And put Singapore in the world map of astronomy. Who knows, PM Lee may mention you in the next national rally speech and he will next tell his people to have dark sky preservation.
Last edited by VinSnr on Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rlow

Post by rlow »

See Arief? I already told you to get the 15" mirror in the first place! :)