Astronomy Contests

Wanna make a scope? Or better still, grind a mirror yourself. Or, you have some good tips in making a really useful accessory? This is the place to show what your hands can do...
nitin.1704

Astronomy Contests

Post by nitin.1704 »

Can anyone here tell me Astronomy competitions for JC students :?:
nitin.1704

Post by nitin.1704 »

What I mean is,
Is NUS-NTU challenge the only competition for JC students around :?:
zong
Administrator
Favourite scope: 1x7 binoculars (my eyes)

Post by zong »

I've heard of an astrophysics olympiad, but i'm not sure when or where or even if singapore is gonna participate. The trick is, it's really, really astrophysics, all the calculation stuff like a physics 'A' level paper, not some fact-based or ob-based competition. Calculations of such degree as the olympiad would drive any sane person insane :lol:
MooEy

Post by MooEy »

depend on wat competition u wan, theory based or more of observation. if i'm not wrong, there's going to be a deep sky challenge coming up soon. can't remember who is in charge of the event though.

~MooEy~
mrngbss

Post by mrngbss »

NJC organised an annual competition on astronomy/physics. Not too sure if there is a JC category. ANy NJC students here (in Singastro)?
Wee Nghee the Pooh
zong
Administrator
Favourite scope: 1x7 binoculars (my eyes)

Post by zong »

Hm, which school are you teaching again? I'm sorry i'm so forgetful.. haha.

I'm ex-NJCian, and still go back very often to mentor the astro club and teach them whatever (little) i know myself. The NJC Astro Quiz was last held in 2004 by my batch for secondary school students only, there's no JC category as NJC is a JC (i hope you understand what i mean). After 2004, the school decided to stop the quiz altogether and cited "budget" reasons. I'm trying to get my juniors to petition for it to restart again, but as per last time, it would only be for secondary students.
valice

Post by valice »

That's so sad?
You mean that NJ Astro Club no longer have the quiz?

Btw, I was from the 1997-8 batch NJ Atro Club...
river

Post by river »