diy adjustable-height pier

Wanna make a scope? Or better still, grind a mirror yourself. Or, you have some good tips in making a really useful accessory? This is the place to show what your hands can do...
kingkong

diy adjustable-height pier

Post by kingkong »

has anyone seen a design, or have any idea on how to build a adjustable height pier?

i've a pier built for newtonian which is painfully low for refractor and sct... so i'm getting itchy again... :oops:
river

Post by river »

possible to show a pic? See is it possible to design some adapter to put on your newtonian pier so that you can use it for all your scope.

or

http://www.pwtec.com/pinnacle.htm
kingkong

Post by kingkong »

interesting. it's not clear how the center column is secured... is it continuously adjustable by friction..? or more likely, locked in place by bolts/pins.
i find the 1000lb load test photo gimmicky. that ability to hold a vertical static load doesn't say anything about sway, vibration damping, etc.
a simple solution i have is to add a 1'-2' I-beam below the current pier to raise its height and use step stool for higher ep/focuser position, risking mis-stepping and falling in the dark...
for that kind of prices, might as well buy a pier-tech push-button electro-mechanical adjustable pier...
http://www.pier-tech.com/store/agora.cg ... Pier-Tech2
river

Post by river »

yup very $$, but that give you some idea how to adjust the height. There is a level on one of the three rod, I think that's how the user will secure the pier.
rlow

Post by rlow »

Probably as you only need two heights for your refractor and newtonian, I think it is cheaper and easier to just make and add on a half pier extension.
kingkong

Post by kingkong »

good suggestion rlow. any one got lobang for good cheap half-pier extension? will need one of 12" vixen/meade type. i got one made in kl, can use but not very good...