16"-20" Scopes on a 4.5-6.5m Observatory - Feasibi

Wanna make a scope? Or better still, grind a mirror yourself. Or, you have some good tips in making a really useful accessory? This is the place to show what your hands can do...
chrisyeo

Post by chrisyeo »

Hi Lee,

- Given our location and weather, the best chances for international collaboration are with planetary imaging, spectroscopy, solar, and other time sensitive events such as supernova and variable star activity.

- Since we can't do much long exposure photography anyway, a fork mount seems the better choice.

- Remote access like www.slooh.com definitely is a good idea. If they can run regular "radio" programmes or offer live viewing like slooh, then it can generate a lot of interest.

- Working with volunteers in astronomy and science outreach is also a good idea.

- Any chance that the observatory can be built outside of Singapore?

- Can talk to the institutions that have observatories to get their feedback..

Rgds,
Chris
mrngbss

Post by mrngbss »

Nanyang Poly, ACS(I), NUS High, Starville have observatories. How much do they use? Anyone knows?
Wee Nghee the Pooh
Tachyon

Post by Tachyon »

ariefm71 wrote:
What do guys think of :
Remote Access @ S$ 100/hr
Observatory Rental @ S$ 500 per 3 hrs block
Unless the observatory is going to be built in Mersing, you'll need to compete very hard with Rent-a-scope. Right, Tachyon??
I have to agree with Arief. With remote observatories, the location is of utmost importance. The site chosen have to be at high altitudes, with good seeing, minimal cloud cover whole year round, and dark. Mersing only fulfills probably 2 of the above criteria and during monsoon seasons, the telescope is just going to sit there unused.

Also, I'm currently paying S$63.95 for 2 hours @ Rent-a-scope. At the suggested price of S$100/hr above, it is not as attractive as Rent-a-scope.

Just my thoughts...
[80% Steve, 20% Alfred] ------- Probability of Clear Skies = (Age of newest equipment in days) / [(Number of observers) * (Total Aperture of all telescopes present in mm)]
Lee
Vendor

Post by Lee »

mrngbss wrote:Sounds like a high profile school. How do we know who to approach? heehee..

If this is a non-tertiary school, I feel that there should not be any charges at all. If they have the funds to build an observatory, then the maintenance fees should not be an issue at all to them.

R: If it's a non-tertiary school then I feel more than not it should be chargeable; probably to offset for subsequent maintenance & control.

The suggestions of controlling via web is still viable, other schools will need to have certtain application forms filled up and then (time-limited) passwords or codes could be given.

I also feel that the 90mm solarmax may be an overkill , but I'm not complaining if it is well used. Should also be installed such that it is easily unmountd so that the scope could go around schools for demo, eduational talks etc.

R: The 90mm will probably better for subsequent Solar Research related program.

I'm quite sure there are programmes and outcomes of this expensive project, i do hope that the some of the follow-up programmes includes educational talks for pri/sec schools.
Lee
Vendor

Post by Lee »

alvinsclee wrote:
Lee wrote:What do guys think of :
Too expensive, especially for the Singapore night sky which can be quite finicky. $500 may be wasted on simply moving the scope around and not getting anything at all!

R: S$ 500 per 3 hrs block to be shared say for a club of 10 people to have a chance to use a 16/20" good scope with full imaging facilities in Singapore is not really that expensive. Weather wise, probably will have to take a chance or maybe a discount in graduated format to be given based on the sky conditions.

Assuming the current Science Centre 16" Observatory is opened for Rental Booking for the public What is a Fair Rate ? you guys accept to use it. If I have a group of 15 students from a School Astro Club and paying S$500 for a 3-hr usage using those special school fund will this be justifiable ?

Given that kind of charges, we can see that one could have easily own a good scope instead of spending 30hr of remote access usage or six 3-hr blocks of observatory rental... not economically viable to the individual.

Not for me. I'd rather save the money to buy a good amateur setup with which I can enjoy for many more moons ;)
Lee
Vendor

Post by Lee »

weixing wrote:
What do guys think of :
I agree with Alvin... That's just way too expensive to be practical.

Also, if it belong to non-private school, I think it shouldn't be charged at all if public got an interesting project that require to used it.

R: Yes, for special rare interesting project that may require some collaboration with the public at large No Charges will be imposed.

Anyway, I think most observatory in Singapore are under utilize ( just wonder how many observatory are there in Singapore and what are the usage like for every month?? ), unless the person in-charge is personally interested in Astronomy... it'll easily become another "beautiful vase" on display.

Just my S$0.02...

Have a nice day.
Lee
Vendor

Post by Lee »

Tachyon wrote:
ariefm71 wrote:
What do guys think of :
Unless the observatory is going to be built in Mersing, you'll need to compete very hard with Rent-a-scope. Right, Tachyon??
I have to agree with Arief. With remote observatories, the location is of utmost importance. The site chosen have to be at high altitudes, with good seeing, minimal cloud cover whole year round, and dark. Mersing only fulfills probably 2 of the above criteria and during monsoon seasons, the telescope is just going to sit there unused.

Also, I'm currently paying S$63.95 for 2 hours @ Rent-a-scope. At the suggested price of S$100/hr above, it is not as attractive as Rent-a-scope.

Just my thoughts...
R: Just like the Global-Rent-a-Scope which has more than 6 Research Grade Scopes around the globe to be rent out. These are on dark & good observational locations. Maybe the proposed system can be part of these world-wide system.

And I agree Singapore one will not fair well at all. Probably a rebate system based on Sky Conditions will do better. Maybe Rental Time Access to be translated into Volunteer Time on Site at the Observatory is more agreeable to most people.
Tachyon

Post by Tachyon »

mrngbss wrote:Nanyang Poly, ACS(I), NUS High, Starville have observatories. How much do they use? Anyone knows?
I tried to book the Starville scopes but the booking system is not up yet?

Still waiting...
[80% Steve, 20% Alfred] ------- Probability of Clear Skies = (Age of newest equipment in days) / [(Number of observers) * (Total Aperture of all telescopes present in mm)]
Lee
Vendor

Post by Lee »

chrisyeo wrote:Hi Lee,

- Given our location and weather, the best chances for international collaboration are with planetary imaging, spectroscopy, solar, and other time sensitive events such as supernova and variable star activity.

Re: Yes, we will be interested in the above collaboration. Let me know more direct contacts if you have any.

- Since we can't do much long exposure photography anyway, a fork mount seems the better choice.

- Remote access like www.slooh.com definitely is a good idea. If they can run regular "radio" programmes or offer live viewing like slooh, then it can generate a lot of interest.

R: This is another good & more practical ideas; probably more for for extended objects. The institution might broadcast 'live' observation schedules to all related affliates or interest groups. Users will just log-in to site for instant 'live' viewing.

- Working with volunteers in astronomy and science outreach is also a good idea.
R: appreciate more infos on these

- Any chance that the observatory can be built outside of Singapore?

R: Doubt so, only chance is for either Privately Owned or Commercial Observatory. Likely site will be places such has Mersing. Something model after http://www.jacknewton.com/canada.htm.
If there is any interest and is of commercial viability we can discuss further. Anyone interested ?

- Can talk to the institutions that have observatories to get their feedback..

Rgds,
Chris
Lee
Vendor

Post by Lee »

Tachyon wrote:
mrngbss wrote:Nanyang Poly, ACS(I), NUS High, Starville have observatories. How much do they use? Anyone knows?
I tried to book the Starville scopes but the booking system is not up yet?

Still waiting...
Problem is administrative; needs the new MA to be re-instated first; i.e then a new sets of rules and regulations etc....