16"-20" Scopes on a 4.5-6.5m Observatory - Feasibi

Wanna make a scope? Or better still, grind a mirror yourself. Or, you have some good tips in making a really useful accessory? This is the place to show what your hands can do...
Lee
Vendor

16"-20" Scopes on a 4.5-6.5m Observatory - Feasibi

Post by Lee »

Hi guys,

I'm currently doing a commercial feasibility study to construct a 16" or 20" Scope on a 4.5m or 6.5m Observatory for a local institution in Singapore. I will appreciate very much any inputs or comments on the following :-

a. 16" or 20" SCT/RC Scope
b. GoTo Fork Mount or GoTo German EQ Mount
c. 4.5m or 6.5m Observatory Dome (8 vs 25 people comfortably)
d. Remote access to control dome, scope, etc via Internet Access
e. 90mm 0.5nm H-Alpha Solar Scope
f. Imaging Accessories ?
g. Type of benefits to either the institution / students / community
h. Type of Potential Collaboration Projects between the Institution &
International Astro Community at large
i. Any other considerations / add-ons / etc ?

The success of the project is largely dependent on the real benefits (now & near future) that can be derived for the institution & communities at large.

Thank you.
Wee Kiong
TPS
ariefm71

Post by ariefm71 »

Meade MAX!
alvinsclee

Post by alvinsclee »

This post makes me wonder why the obsevatory at Singapore Science Centre did not attract more people. Not enough publicity? Or is it that amateur astronomers belong to a very small niche group? Perhaps, the centre's apparent 'failure' to excite more people in astronomy is an area we can learn from and improved upon before any other additional observatory is to be built.

I did have a fantasy that Singastro will someday run an observatory. It would be good if this observatory can have some kind of 'Rent-a-scope' or 'Dial-a-scope' scheme for people to use their home computers or laptops to submit technical requests remotely. This will ensure some kind of commercial sustenance for the observatory.

However, we must also not forget those who need to ensure judicious use of their hard-earned money... hence, regular 'donation-based' public education workshops may be conducted... it will be beneficial for the publicity of the observatory as well. Would it be a good idea to have smaller 'satellite' observatories around it for individual enthusiasts to book facilities to simply enjoy their hobby at their own leisure time? Some of the facilities may be left as 'basic support only' so that these enthusiasts can bring their own scopes into the satellite observatories.

I believe in the potential of Singastro and that our members have much to offer in community service... analogous to volunteers of many nature groups (Sungei Buloh Volunteers Programme is a very good example of how dedicated volunteers and the authorities worked together to keep Sungei Buloh Wetland Reserve on a well-respected position nationally and internationally).

Just my thinking-out-of-the-box ideas for further brain-storming :)
Last edited by alvinsclee on Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
kayheem

Post by kayheem »

I vote for the fork mount. Somehow a GEM takes up more space due to the counter-weight. If imaging is a concern, add a field de-rotator.
Lee
Vendor

Post by Lee »

alvinsclee wrote: .............
I did have a fantasy that Singastro will someday run an observatory. It would be good if this observatory can have some kind of 'Rent-a-scope' or 'Dial-a-scope' scheme for people to use their home computers or laptops to submit technical requests remotely. This will ensure some kind of commercial sustenance for the observatory.
Would it be a good idea to have smaller 'satellite' observatories around it for individual enthusiasts to book facilities to simply enjoy their hobby at their own leisure time? Some of the facilities may be left as 'basic support only' so that these enthusiasts can bring their own scopes into the satellite observatories.
Just my thinking-out-of-the-box ideas for further brain-storming :)

Dear Alvin,

Your ideas are one of the stronger reasons for a community based (I meant for a cluster of schools now) better Observatory system.
We have been thinking along these lines and as such the proposed observatory will likely to :-
- let users log-in from web browers (IE)
- take control of the scope & observatory
- slew to desire object, auto focus and self-imaging (something likes Rent-A-Scope)

At this point the beneficiaries will likely be from the institution itself, its affliated schools, the cluster of school around it. Public interest group such as Singastro or private student groups might be given access on special request or a monetary charge might be imposed.

What do guys think of :
Remote Access @ S$ 100/hr
Observatory Rental @ S$ 500 per 3 hrs block :)
Lee
Vendor

Post by Lee »

kayheem wrote:I vote for the fork mount. Somehow a GEM takes up more space due to the counter-weight. If imaging is a concern, add a field de-rotator.
Hi Kayheem,
At higher level observatory or research grade type most of the mounts are of GEM instead of the Fork type. Although I prefer the Fork type for the space & ease of use most of the time only the GEM is available.
mrngbss

Post by mrngbss »

Sounds like a high profile school. How do we know who to approach? heehee..

If this is a non-tertiary school, I feel that there should not be any charges at all. If they have the funds to build an observatory, then the maintenance fees should not be an issue at all to them.

The suggestions of controlling via web is still viable, other schools will need to have certtain application forms filled up and then (time-limited) passwords or codes could be given.

I also feel that the 90mm solarmax may be an overkill , but I'm not complaining if it is well used. Should also be installed such that it is easily unmountd so that the scope could go around schools for demo, eduational talks etc.

I'm quite sure there are programmes and outcomes of this expensive project, i do hope that the some of the follow-up programmes includes educational talks for pri/sec schools.
Wee Nghee the Pooh
ariefm71

Post by ariefm71 »

What do guys think of :
Observatory Rental @ S$ 500 per 3 hrs block
Unless the observatory is going to be built in Mersing, you'll need to compete very hard with Rent-a-scope. Right, Tachyon??
alvinsclee

Post by alvinsclee »

Lee wrote:What do guys think of :
Too expensive, especially for the Singapore night sky which can be quite finicky. $500 may be wasted on simply moving the scope around and not getting anything at all!

Given that kind of charges, we can see that one could have easily own a good scope instead of spending 30hr of remote access usage or six 3-hr blocks of observatory rental... not economically viable to the individual.

Not for me. I'd rather save the money to buy a good amateur setup with which I can enjoy for many more moons ;)
Last edited by alvinsclee on Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:00 am, edited 3 times in total.
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

What do guys think of :
I agree with Alvin... That's just way too expensive to be practical.

Also, if it belong to non-private school, I think it shouldn't be charged at all if public got an interesting project that require to used it.

Anyway, I think most observatory in Singapore are under utilize ( just wonder how many observatory are there in Singapore and what are the usage like for every month?? ), unless the person in-charge is personally interested in Astronomy... it'll easily become another "beautiful vase" on display.

Just my S$0.02...

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen: