Make a Reflection Telescope

Wanna make a scope? Or better still, grind a mirror yourself. Or, you have some good tips in making a really useful accessory? This is the place to show what your hands can do...
fairydream81

Make a Reflection Telescope

Post by fairydream81 »

Has anyone made a reflection telescope? Please share your experience.
I and some friends in my club tried making one.
This is a handmade 4" (10 cm) reflector .I thing it's better than 60mm (700mm length) MEADE refractor.

Now I'm grinding a 15cm(~6in) mirror for a bigger one

a myfriend have just finished,but because of cloudy sky in VietNam (rain and rain) we can't see any star for testing.( seem very good when see something :tree...)
Hochiminh City Amateur Astronomy Club (HAAC)
www.vietastro.org
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

Nice effort! I don't even know how to collimate mirrors, let alone grind them!
good luck on your new 6-incher....do let us know once its done.
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
ariefm71

Post by ariefm71 »

Has anyone made a reflection telescope? Please share your experience.
I made a few:
http://www.singastro.org/viewtopic.php?t=1834 (with kayheem)
http://www.singastro.org/viewtopic.php?t=3352

I never grinded a mirror though, so you're more advanced!
vainqueur

Post by vainqueur »

i have always wanted to DIY one... but dont know how and where to get the materials... care for a short introduction?
Robin Lee

Post by Robin Lee »

Is grinding a mirror hard? I want to try it too. Where can we get the grinding tool? I need to make a dobsonian mount as well. Anyone knows it?
Clear skies,
Robin.

Cyclops Optics - QHYCCD, William Optics, Televue, STC & Optolong filters
Free shipping for purchases above SG$250
perseid
Vendor

Post by perseid »

Here is my 2 cents.

Assemble a telescope from ready made optic is much easier and maybe cheaper too. While grinding your own mirror feels more satisfying, it is not really easy to do. Raw materials aren't readily available. Polishing and figuring a mirror blank into a good mirror requires lots of patience and guidance for first timer.

A 6" mirror can be done in about a month, while an 8" one will take you twice as long. Even if you have done your job perfectly, you still need to send your mirror for coating. Cost of coating itself will be more expensive than buying a finished mirror especially for small 6" or 8" mirror.

I can supply those interested with all the necessary optics and parts. You'll need to make the mount and assembly. Half the fun of doing everything yourself but still save you a lot of heartache.

BTW, my 14.5" mirror is still at the final stage of figuring. The last time I work on it was two years ago, before my test equipment broke down. Hopefully, I'll start to work on it soon once I am hit with "mirror making fever".
rlow

Post by rlow »

I have tried mirror grinding and I can tell you it is a lot of hard work, and definitely not my cup of tea. And making an excellent mirror is very hard to achieve for beginners. I would rather buy a finished mirror and build the rest of the scope.
Richard Low
Robin Lee

Post by Robin Lee »

I see.. it's really challenging. By the way, where can I get a 6" parabolic mirror? Do I need spherical mirror or parabolic mirror to make newtonian telescope? I need a secondary mirror as well. Perseid will be the source?
Clear skies,
Robin.

weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
I see.. it's really challenging. By the way, where can I get a 6" parabolic mirror? Do I need spherical mirror or parabolic mirror to make newtonian telescope? I need a secondary mirror as well. Perseid will be the source?
If you are making a "fast" scope... may be below F8, you need a parabolic mirror. If you are making a "lower" scope... F8 or slower, spherical mirror is good enough. Anyway, I think perseid do sell a 6" F8 primary mirror and secondary mirror, but I'm not sure whether it is parabolic or spherical mirror.

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
Robin Lee

Post by Robin Lee »

Thanks for your info. :D If I am making a Newtonian, I would like it to be faster.
Clear skies,
Robin.