Half-pier plan

Wanna make a scope? Or better still, grind a mirror yourself. Or, you have some good tips in making a really useful accessory? This is the place to show what your hands can do...
ariefm71

Half-pier plan

Post by ariefm71 »

This plan is based on Ken Dauzat's LX tripod to GP adapter (to be used for my LX90 tripod, but you can use any tripod by changing the bottom thread). I have modified the pier diameter to 6" just in case I want to upgrade to GM8/G11 in the future.

Let me know if you guys foresee any issue. Appreciate those with GM8/G11 to check for me if the Inside Diameter of the pier is sufficient for the mount.

Arief

PS: I have emailed this to a local machinist for a quote.
cataclysm

Post by cataclysm »

. Appreciate those with GM8/G11 to check for me if the Inside Diameter of the pier is sufficient for the mount.
Hi Arief, I had my GM8 half pier measured. The inside diameter at 5.75" is just about right.

Have a good day.
ariefm71

Post by ariefm71 »

Thanks Cat for verifying!

The pier is actually a combination of Losmandy MA adapter ( http://tinyurl.com/v6awh ) and Vixen half pier ( http://tinyurl.com/tdw7f ). I've got a quote from Aftech Engineering, S$250, for material and machining. I haven't haggled yet, but I think I should be able to get at least 10% off of the price.

Arief
ariefm71

Post by ariefm71 »

OK, I just placed an order with Aftech Eng. Pte Ltd. The cost for all the three parts is S$225 for both the material (aluminum 6061-T6) and machining.

If you guys has any ATM project that require metal machining (adapters, a full blown aluminum scope, etc), contact this guy: steven@aftech-engineering.com.sg . Don't forget to mention my name :D