Discuss: Co-Share 15" Zambuto Scope

Wanna make a scope? Or better still, grind a mirror yourself. Or, you have some good tips in making a really useful accessory? This is the place to show what your hands can do...
rlow

Post by rlow »

Here's the updated status for the 15" CO-SHARE SCOPE PROJECT

Co-Sharers:
1. Clifford
2. rlow
3. Wu Chee Yiun

Contributors:
1. Kayheem - 2" Crayford Focuser, 8x50 Meade Finder/Bracket
2. rlow - 1" x 12" Virgin Teflon, Kydex material
3. Arief - 8 nos. 1" or 1.25" OD Truss Tubes, 3 nos. DC Fan Modules

Please also feel free to share any ideas, opinions, designs, technical know-how etc. :)
Last edited by rlow on Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Richard Low
rlow

Post by rlow »

What do you guys think of this secondary?

http://www.astromart.com/classifieds/de ... _id=471814

Seems that Protostar pyrex secondary have already been phased out of production. And the ULS quartz version does not have sizes bigger than 2.6"

Can anyone comment whether will there be any noticable improvement using 1/20th wave secondary mirror vs 1/10th wave secondary mirror to complement the 15" CZ primary mirror?
Richard Low
ariefm71

Post by ariefm71 »

Co-Sharers:
1. Clifford
2. rlow
3. Wu Chee Yiun
What are the benefits for the co-sharers? will the scope be rotated among them every few weeks/months?
Last edited by ariefm71 on Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
ariefm71

Post by ariefm71 »

What do you guys think of this secondary?

http://www.astromart.com/classifieds/de ... _id=471814

Seems that Protostar pyrex secondary have already been phased out of production. And the ULS quartz version does not have sizes bigger than 2.6"

Can anyone comment whether will there be any noticable improvement using 1/20th wave secondary mirror vs 1/10th wave secondary mirror to complement the 15" CZ primary mirror?
Richard, can you attach the NEWT (*.nwt) file of the scope design so I can see the ray tracing?
rlow

Post by rlow »

What are the benefits for the co-sharers? will the scope be rotated among them every few weeks/months?
Sure we will rotate the scope among the co-sharers every few weeks/months or use it as and when required, eg, at Mersing. I suggest we can set some flexible guidelines, which we will do so shortly. For me, I am not particular about keeping this 15" long term at my place as I already have enough 'furniture' (11" & other scopes) and many other astro-stuffs already, so I don't mind if other co-sharers benefit more. :)
Last edited by rlow on Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richard Low
rlow

Post by rlow »

Richard, can you attach the NEWT (*.nwt) file of the scope design so I can see the ray tracing?
Arief, I did create a newt file in my office some time ago but it is probably deleted by now. It is easy to recreate one, and I am sure you know all the parameters already. I remembered that 3.1" secondary gives a wide fully illuminated field of view (without vignetting) which would be good for binoviewing. Or perhaps you can suggest and advise on this?
Richard Low
ariefm71

Post by ariefm71 »

Co-Sharers:
1. Clifford
2. Rlow
3. Wu Chee Yiun
4. Arief
rlow

Post by rlow »

Thanks Arief for joining us as Co-Sharer too!

Last night, Arief suggested we look at the Astro Sky Wood Dobsonian Kit 15". I have emailed some questions to James Grigar and I would like to share his feedback here:

your price is $795.00 15" woods kit plus $85.00 shipping to California. good till Jan. 12th.
Moonlite socket set $60.00
truss tubes $30.00 plus $10.00 shipping.
50% deposit required on parts only.don't count with shipping cost
pay final payment 10 days before delivery.

So... guys, what do you think of this?

Oh, I do have the tube cutter anyway. :)
Last edited by rlow on Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
Richard Low
Clifford60

Discuss: Co-Share 15" Zambuto Scope

Post by Clifford60 »

Ric, you guys decide, I'm still a newbie and a sotong, so can't help in this area.
ariefm71 wrote:What are the benefits for the co-sharers? will the scope be rotated among them every few weeks/months?
Hi Arief, as a newbie, I would likely use the scope during ob with you guys and likely to be a low usage guy.

As for the details of the sharingl, I believe Ric and myself are open to any suggestion or to say everything can be discussed. So if more join in the co- ownership, I believe we can come out a guideline where everyone will be happy. Maybe when the group is big, we may be able to co-own more scopes.
ariefm71

Post by ariefm71 »

your price is $795.00 15" woods kit plus $85.00 shipping to California. good till Jan. 12th.
Moonlite socket set $60.00
truss tubes $30.00 plus $10.00 shipping.
50% deposit required on parts only.don't count with shipping cost
pay final payment 10 days before delivery.
Hi, I think we should order the kit with the moonlite sockets and truss tubes (i also have tube cutter :D ). Rich, can you check if it includes the "balls" not just the sockets?

Btw, I can co-share up to USD1000, that's around 25-27% of the total cost of the scope (including the mirrors). We welcome new co-sharers in this project (maybe list the names of all the co-shares and contributors on the mirror box plaque).

Arief