My new portable tripod!

Wanna make a scope? Or better still, grind a mirror yourself. Or, you have some good tips in making a really useful accessory? This is the place to show what your hands can do...
kamayok3

My new portable tripod!

Post by kamayok3 »

Hi,

Today I got my custom made short tripod legs from my friend who’s building and designing it. My purpose to have this kind of short tripod leg is because of portable.

How portable is it? Please look at the photos for the truth.

The tripod legs are so well built and lightweight. All made in aluminum and stainless steel. It is so stable. According to my friend, it can hold the weight up to around 50kg for my application. The main attractive point of this tripod is the “Level Adjustment Knob”. It is now easy for me to do leveling adjustment without lifting up the tripod. :-D

How about the cost of this tripod? I got no worry about this issue. It is so affordable and fair in price.

For those who are thinking to have a custom made tripod, I can recommend it to you. He can even design a full pier version of mounting. Tell him what is in your mind, he will try his best to made one for you. For more information, you can directly contact him. He is quite a nice guy though. :-D

Details of contact:

Name: Mr. Andrew Leow
Email address: andrewcsleow@gmail.com

Regards,

Tommy
Last edited by kamayok3 on Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kayheem

Post by kayheem »

Wow! It flips over the short pier, making it really compact. Good product! :salute:
Last edited by kayheem on Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jermng

Post by jermng »

That pier is a Vixen right? I'm thinking of making something like that ... but slightly higher :) Maybe I should contact him soon ... :)
Jeremy Ng
C8, CR-150HD, TMB 80 f/6
Orion SVP Intelliscope, AstroSlew I
Minolta Activa 12x50WA
mrngbss

Post by mrngbss »

Very very interesting!!
Wee Nghee the Pooh
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
Nice... like the Vixen AL90. But not so convenience for SCT or refractor when aiming at high angle, but very good for newtonian. Also, remember to bring along the vibration suppression pads when use in the field.

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
kamayok3

Post by kamayok3 »

Hi,

This tripod is very stable until the vibration is getting lesser. So, vibration suppression pads is not that important to me.

He calculate every angle and eliminate every possible problems as well. That's why I like it.

Regards,

Tommy
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
This tripod is very stable until the vibration is getting lesser. So, vibration suppression pads is not that important to me.
The vibration suppression pads is not to suppress the vibration if your tripod is stable, but to prevent the tip of your tripod leg sinking in the field. If this happen, you won't be able to level your tripod.

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
anat

Post by anat »

Tommy:

Impressive cloudy-sky project. Well done. It looks very compact. And the level knobs are very convenient to level the tripod and mount. I also use the similar level knobs for my customized pier.

Anat
kamayok3

Post by kamayok3 »

Hi Wei Xing,

Thanks for advice. You are right also. I will make myself three piece of wood to become the vibration suppression pads.

Regards,

Tommy
Tachyon

Post by Tachyon »

Cool.. I want one of these for my air travels!
[80% Steve, 20% Alfred] ------- Probability of Clear Skies = (Age of newest equipment in days) / [(Number of observers) * (Total Aperture of all telescopes present in mm)]