Nippon Spray Paint - BLACK FLAT 109A

Wanna make a scope? Or better still, grind a mirror yourself. Or, you have some good tips in making a really useful accessory? This is the place to show what your hands can do...
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Nippon Spray Paint - BLACK FLAT 109A

Post by weixing »

Hi,
I test the Nippon Spray Paint - BLACK FLAT 109A and seem to work quite well. Below is a test paint on a nut and put inside my OTA to compare with my current OTA inner paint.

Seem like my scope is going to have a new coat for the chinese new year (and I don't think red with work)... hee hee :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Have a nice day.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
ariefm71

Post by ariefm71 »

Looks very reflective and shiny, not flat black.

Below IS flat black:
weixing
Super Moderator
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
I think that's mainly because of the material the paint is on is very smooth. As a result, it look reflective and also because I'm using a flash and I meter the dark paint of the metal when taking the image which made it look more reflective.
Looks very reflective and shiny, not flat black.
By the way, is inside the Mewlon OTA a smooth metal surface or other non-smooth surface material?? You can try taking a image and meter on the inner part of the OTA and see whether can you see a reflective black surface or not.

Anyway, I think to get a real non-reflective black surface, you may need a rough surface with a flat black paint, but will the black rough surface scatter light and make it look "brighter"?? Hmm... When I had the time, I will test the black paint on a smooth and rough surface paper and see the result.

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
Canopus Lim

Post by Canopus Lim »

I think the rough surface will be less reflective because it diffuses the light and grazing light (which is most of the problem) will not see a smooth surface to reflect. Flocking paper is uneven and also absorbs a lot of light. Probably that's the reason why it is better than flat black paint. If it is possible, you can flock the entire tube of your Newtonian.
AstroDuck
weixing
Super Moderator

Post by weixing »

Hi,
I don't prefer flocking because it may prone to trap moisturea and this may cause fungus to grow on it in our high humidity environment.

By the way, I look at the inner of my TeleVue 32mm plossl eyepiece barrel and found that it is paint in a dark grey colour... same as my current and all previous scope. Hmm... I compare with the eyepiece barrel that I paint flat black, the different is that the illumination on the dark grey is very constant while the flat black is not (some part is "brighter" than others and some part is "darker"). Is this the reason why most eyepiece and telescope paint the inner side with dark grey??

Anyway, will test out a few material (include some flocking material) and paint.

Have a nice day.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Yang Weixing
rlow

Post by rlow »

Anyway, will test out a few material (include some flocking material) and paint.
Interesting! Do let us know the results. :)
Richard Low