Telescope Control Project

Wanna make a scope? Or better still, grind a mirror yourself. Or, you have some good tips in making a really useful accessory? This is the place to show what your hands can do...
mitoo

Telescope Control Project

Post by mitoo »

Hi to all

Especially chris,

It is long time since we lost contact. Can you rememeber the 10 inch computarise Dobsonian Telescope? yes i am michael. now i am working on converting all software into Microchip so i don't need computer to control telescope any more. it is hard work.

we can keep in contact.

Thank you
Michael
yanyewkay

Post by yanyewkay »

are you specifically using Microchip PICs? I have some embedded systems background and can give you a small hand if you need one.
chrisyeo

Post by chrisyeo »

Hi Micheal!

It's been a long time since we heard from you - SingastroFest2004!

Do keep in contact, and do keep us updated on your work with the microchip. Good luck!

Chris
mitoo

microchip

Post by mitoo »

yanyewkay wrote:are you specifically using Microchip PICs? I have some embedded systems background and can give you a small hand if you need one.

At first i didn't know the MCU is so wide chellange for me. I am not good in microchip development. i just read some books from many library and design my own project. i didn't copy of any design or soft.

I don't have proper C compiler for pic18. i am now using CCS 14 bit, which is free for download. How far i know that Pic18 is compatible doing this kind of complicated project. Until now, I couldnt arange 16 bit c compiler for pic18.

i am now using PIC16F877, PIC16F876, EEprom and SRAM, LCD.
all i can get from local electronics market.

calculation is very complex and taking large memory. so i had to use few microchip to calculate.

on ccs software have some Restriction can't use 'double' which is 64 bit point. i had to use float which is only 32 bit.

if you have any idea that can be more easy way to doing please let me know.

anyway still doing. let you know how is the progress.

thank you for your writing.

michael
yanyewkay

Post by yanyewkay »

wow.. interfacing multiple PICs.. you are having multi-processors!!

I last touched the 16F876 like 4years back. I'm being blessed with 32bit Freescale processors to work with now.. I'll see what I can dig up about float and PM you.
river

Post by river »

Interesting Project!! tell us more, are you making your own GOTO Chip??

Microchip also have 16bit PIC24 family and 16 bit C30 compiler (60Day student edition). It will be easier if you can get your hands on one of these.

If the free compiler lock the double data type, can try to write your own asm function just for that 16bit calculation.
mitoo

Microchip

Post by mitoo »

river wrote:Interesting Project!! tell us more, are you making your own GOTO Chip??

Microchip also have 16bit PIC24 family and 16 bit C30 compiler (60Day student edition). It will be easier if you can get your hands on one of these.

If the free compiler lock the double data type, can try to write your own asm function just for that 16bit calculation.

//
Thank you for your info. yes, it is for goto and auto tracking.
main problem is compiler. if it is demo ver.. have some restiction on using full memory or usng 'double'. Those i found, all are 2k limits but for this complex calculatin, it should need to access full of memory.

asm, i can write. I first started with asm and the end i gave up. it will be even more complex if you write in asm. befor i say anything, i should i check it out C30. thank you for your advice.

thank you
michael
yanyewkay

Post by yanyewkay »

for big projects like these, it is easier to write in C or other high level lang so that it is easier to spot mistakes later.

I really take my hats off you *bows*
river

Post by river »

yes, it is for goto and auto tracking.
Wooww... that's a very interesting project! *salute*
I am interested to do something like that!

You might want to look at another interesting project by anat :
http://www.singastro.org/viewtopic.php? ... light=palm
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
When using Microcontroller in real time application, I think you should avoid using floating point as it is very very slow.... You should try using fixed point and look up table.

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen: