DIY laser pointer holder

Wanna make a scope? Or better still, grind a mirror yourself. Or, you have some good tips in making a really useful accessory? This is the place to show what your hands can do...
Canopus Lim

Post by Canopus Lim »

A spring loaded finder mount has 2 screws to adjust only. The 3rd 'screw' is a spring. The front of the finder is stuck on an O-ring to the finder mount, hence it can rotate when pushed by the 2 back screws and held securely by the 3rd 'screw' at the rear of the finder. This kind of mount is very easy to adjust as there is no need to release a screw to tighten another and there is no risk that the finder will drop out of the finder mount.

Your setup is even more difficult to adjust because of 6 screws and requires releasing and tightening. It can be done though. My laser mount (bought it..) is the same kind as yours. :P If you intend to leave the laser inside, it will be good. Else, it will take probably 10 min to adjust it accurately compared to 1min for a spring loaded finder mount.
AstroDuck
Canopus Lim

Post by Canopus Lim »

deleted
AstroDuck
yanyewkay

Post by yanyewkay »

thanks! now i'm starting to understand how the spring loaded mechanism works.. so in a X-Y spring loaded config there are 2 adjustable screws and 2 spring loaded ones?

actually i only need to adjust 3 screws. i fixed the front 3 and adjusted only the back 3.
kayheem

Post by kayheem »

yanyewkay, I see you have access and knowledge to some useful DIY stuff like soldering, rubber tips, bits and pieces etc. ... I am getting envious!

Actually, you did a good job. Half the fun is in the process of the making.
yanyewkay

Post by yanyewkay »

thanks kayheem. :D

i finally found and saw how a spring loaded XY adjustment setup looks like.. ahh... it really makes alignment a lot easier. Modifications shouldn't be too hard :D but will have to source for the smooth rod to provide the "spring tension" :D

till the next update!
aquillae

Post by aquillae »

great job yanyewkay.

i like the "high tech" clip :)
jeff
astro-cubicle :: www.astrojeff.com
Clifford60

DIY laser pointer holder

Post by Clifford60 »

There is this green laser pointer (for gun) that is about 1" in dia, so one can mount it on the finder scope bracket. Collimation can be done with this laser pointer. I've a 3/4" version which I mounted on the 25x100 bino on a bracket that come with the pointer. See some photos
mySG_jy

Post by mySG_jy »

interesting exercise for those who have time and tools. FYI, I manage to find some low cost laser pointer holder for just S$15 each, I used 2 for my 3/4" laser pointer that comes with remote tail control.
kingkong

Post by kingkong »

mySG_jy wrote:interesting exercise for those who have time and tools. FYI, I manage to find some low cost laser pointer holder for just S$15 each, I used 2 for my 3/4" laser pointer that comes with remote tail control.
please elaborate and share your idea.
who knows, you might have a astro-DIY solution named after you... :wink:
mySG_jy

Post by mySG_jy »

let me take some picture to share later