DIY laser pointer holder

Wanna make a scope? Or better still, grind a mirror yourself. Or, you have some good tips in making a really useful accessory? This is the place to show what your hands can do...
yanyewkay

DIY laser pointer holder

Post by yanyewkay »

Anyone did one before?

I'm in the progress of making one. Looks ugly but looks stable and functional so far. Will post pics once I finished it.
yanyewkay

Post by yanyewkay »

just a few more finishing touches and it should be ready. originally wanted to use acrylic (perspex) to do the entire thing but was too lazy to cut out the base.

ended up using metal parts and soldering them together and fastening with screws.

the the best looking one in the market but at least it was cheap :D
mrngbss

Post by mrngbss »

Not bad not bad!
Wee Nghee the Pooh
acc
Administrator
Favourite scope: Mag1 Instruments 12.5" Portaball

Post by acc »

Not bad at all... arty-industrial look :)
We do it in the dark...
Portaball 12.5"
Takahashi Mewlon 210
William Optics 110ED
...and all night long!
Canopus Lim

Post by Canopus Lim »

Looks functional. How do you mount it on the telescope? Also do you have a switch to make the laser turn on without ever pressing it?

I have my laser mount that can be mounted on a telrad base which is attached to my telescope. I did it by designing an adaptor to allow the laser mount to be screwed onto this adaptor. Also, I have a collar that goes over the laser's button. So when I turn the collar, the laser will be turned on without ever holding the button. It is essential to think of a way to enable the laser to turn on indefinitely as pressing the laser button will be very troublesome and also it will knock of the laser alignment to that of the telescope. It is also NOT EASY to align the laser to the telescope. I usually use my Telrad to align with my telescope first. Then I point the telescope to a certain star. From there I do a rough alignment of the laser to that star; to at least get in the FOV of the low power eyepiece. Then, I look through the eyepiece and align the laser at the same time to centre the 'end' (there is no actual end as the laser beam diverges) of the laser beam. This would give accurate results and hence wherever you point (assuming the laser is held well), it will point at the correct target.

Using laser is good way of finding objects as you can easily correlate the star chart and the position of the laser with the star chart. This is unlike using a Telrad where the degree circles have to be used to estimate the position. The problems with the laser are that the alignment is rather troublesome, it spoils astrophotography and night vision when in use. However, it is a cool way of pointing and it helps other people to direct their scopes to a certain object easily. Lastly, it is immune to dew unlike the Telrad and Quickfinder. The worst is still all the red dot finders with big exposed windows that cannot incorporate dew shields.
AstroDuck
kayheem

Post by kayheem »

In the past, I did have an idea to mount the laser on the scope. Design should have the following:

1) Fashion an acrylic tube to hold the laser and secure with set screws.

2) The tube should also have a threaded hole over the on-off button. You can then screw a small bolt in to keep it turned on.

3) The OD of acrylic tube to be the same as the common 6X30mm finderscope.

4) Use the acrylic tube as a finderscope and insert into the holder with the spring-loaded X-Y type adjustment. Mount the whole setup into the common dovetail shoe. This will allow rapid adjustment and should hold alignment well.

Kay Heem
yanyewkay

Post by yanyewkay »

to turn the laser pointer on and off.. i used a low-tech clip..

will take pic of the clip tonight :D

I'm not sure if it's called a telrad base but my scope comes with a finder base like this http://www.scopestuff.com/ss_rdpb.htm

i just tighten the screw and it hold the whole finder in place. More pics tonight! :D

Stay tuned!
yanyewkay

Post by yanyewkay »

here are the completed pics

screwed to base

the "high tech" clip

laser pointer in use

haven't aligned it to my scope yet.. haha dun feel like doing it at home.. having a green beam pointer out of my living room window is quite attention catching. :lol: :lol:
kayheem

Post by kayheem »

Hi,

Looks functional, but I think it will be difficult to align to the main scope. IMHO, would be easier if you can adapt it to the 6X30mm holder with spring-loaded X-Y adjustment.
yanyewkay

Post by yanyewkay »

kayheem wrote:Hi,

Looks functional, but I think it will be difficult to align to the main scope. IMHO, would be easier if you can adapt it to the 6X30mm holder with spring-loaded X-Y adjustment.
I haven't seen how a spring loaded X-Y adjustment mechanism before so I can't really do it. my guess is using X-Y will be much easier than my current 3 screw method.

just tested it... didn't have stars to point at so i pointed at the red lights of some very distant roofs.. of course during the course of aiming it, it went into some ppl's houses.. didn't want any trouble so i stopped after a while.

My feedback is that it can be aligned with the scope. just needs some time.

some finer points of the holder (although not so fine soldering skill :oops: )
has locking nuts to hold the screw in place once I've aligned it.
got rubber ends to prevent screw from dropping out when loosening and more importantly prevents the precious laser pointer from being scratched when tightening the screws.