This is what a 12.5" f/6 looks like

Wanna make a scope? Or better still, grind a mirror yourself. Or, you have some good tips in making a really useful accessory? This is the place to show what your hands can do...
ariefm71

Post by ariefm71 »

:D Quality-wise, he's up there with the likes of Kennedy and Zambuto, hence the price :D
Canopus Lim

Post by Canopus Lim »

Aren't your truss so long? I do not think it can fit in a car if it cannot be broken down.
AstroDuck
VinSnr
Administrator

Post by VinSnr »

Canopus Lim wrote:Aren't your truss so long? I do not think it can fit in a car if it cannot be broken down.
he already said he is not building a f/6. That's for show only.
VinSnr
Administrator

Post by VinSnr »

ariefm71 wrote::D Quality-wise, he's up there with the likes of Kennedy and Zambuto, hence the price :D
Actually I feel price is least of the issue when selecting mirrors. It is the communication and delivery that's the headache. Some mirror makers promise delivery but it never get delivered on time. Then some never reply your mails.

Zambuto is good, but his mirrors need super long time to wait. Discovery never reply mails. Woden and Swayze depends on their mood. Not sure about Royce and Ed Stevens. Mark Harry is ok....he is pretty fast in his mails but not sure about his delivery.
ariefm71

Post by ariefm71 »

I have been dealing with Stevens and Royce and they are very responsive. Royce offered me his new 12.5 dall-kirkham cassegrain (complete telescope, not just the optics set, see here http://www.rfroyce.com/ ) for a special intro price of usd4000 (this is 1/3rd of 12" Mewlon price). I will need to turn that down since the focal length is too long and I want to see the review first. So, if anyone is looking for a Mewlon 300 alternatives, I'll forward you his email messages.
Last edited by ariefm71 on Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
Now I know what keep you so busy... :D :D

Have a nice day.

PS: I thought you going to join me in the observation session?? :roll:
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
rlow

Post by rlow »

If that happens, the ID of the wooden rings need to be expanded/cut to 13.5" (currently 12" ID for my 10" optics).
Arief, nice work! Can you cut off to 13.5" ID without cutting the plywood too thin? Also, are you using a light shroud?
Richard Low
ariefm71

Post by ariefm71 »

Yes, looks like I can cut it off to 13.5" ID safely for my new 12.5" f/5 mirror :)

Will definitely use a shroud. Any ideas how to prevent the sagging of the shroud?