Where To Find Aluminium Tubing?

Wanna make a scope? Or better still, grind a mirror yourself. Or, you have some good tips in making a really useful accessory? This is the place to show what your hands can do...
kayheem

Post by kayheem »

acc wrote:Heh Kay Heem you have access to surgical saws and such? :) :) With those I guess you can make a precision cut heh heh :)
When it comes to saws and drills, I have 2 left hands! :-P

That is why I need my machinist.
ChaosKnight

Post by ChaosKnight »

You can try bt batok. there's this industrial estate where they do custom machining. Can order material from there too.

As for the technical drawings, if you have access to a cad program it should be easy.

But it's going to cost you. I once thought of doing this http://www.singastro.org/viewtopic.php?t=2178
but gave up because the cost isn't justified.

I had lots of wacky ideas in the past for low cost tube designs. pm me if you're interested.
rlow

Post by rlow »

Hi Kayheem,

PM me your exact specs (eg, thickness of tube, ID or OD etc), and maybe I can try to help you. :)
Richard Low
kayheem

Post by kayheem »

Rlow, you are on!

Let me do some measurements with my vernier calipers and I will get back to you in a couple of days!
rlow

Post by rlow »

Ok, take your time. It so happens that I am getting some alum. tubings too, eight of them.
Richard Low
amin7074

Post by amin7074 »

Bro....can searh any things inside "The Green Book" there a lot of things that i think we can source out something for ATM project.. :) :)
Barry

Post by Barry »

Mate, if you know how to draw a simple design and use a set of verniers, then a hacksaw would hardly be a challenge for you.

As far as access to a vice and stuff is concerned...

all you need is a couple of square metres of space in the corner of a room, shed, balcony, backyard, carport or whatever. If you cant do it at home, then maybe someone you know will let you do it at their place!

Hand tools cost very little. Especially for the home hobbyist. For a little investment in a few basic tools, you can save so much by making your own stuff, instead of paying someone else for their ridiculously high overheads!

Then all you need is a "I can do this, I can learn" attitude! Its not hard!

I don't mean to pull my own chain, but my entire observatory was built by me, and I am not a tradesman. I am a regular guy at home who wanted something, and used a bit of initiative and resourcefulness to acheive my dream. I had plenty of people telling me it was too difficult, but dont let that stop you!! There is always a way!

May I encourage all you blokes out there to "Give it a go." Even if you dont get it right, you learn SO MUCH in the process! I learned more from the stuff-ups than I did from getting it right!

I have faith in you mate. You can do it!

Baz.
kayheem

Post by kayheem »

Barry wrote:
I have faith in you mate. You can do it!

Baz.
Hi Barry,

Thanks for the encouragement. If I do try, it will literally be rough at the edges. I think it would be easier to get my machinist friend to do it for the more professional look.

Space is really a premium here in Singapore. There aren't many homes here with their own mini-work bench. A typical govt-subsidized flat is maybe 100-140 sqm. Not really ideal for a work bench. Besides, the neighbours will soon come knocking on your door if you start drilling, hammering or sawing too frequently!

Rgds,

Kay Heem
Barry

Post by Barry »

Mate, I totally understand!

If ever you can find the room somewhere though, my advice still stands.

There is nothing like the satisfaction of creation! That's why I encourage others to grow, learn and expand themselves and their skills. You can always always always learn and grow!

I Hope you are successful in your little project.

Baz.