Just another mirror in Singastro

Wanna make a scope? Or better still, grind a mirror yourself. Or, you have some good tips in making a really useful accessory? This is the place to show what your hands can do...
ariefm71

Post by ariefm71 »

http://www.singastro.org/viewtopic.php?t=4720
(it's 12" shorter than the one shown in the first pic)
michael

hi

Post by michael »

i think the image quality will drop..if u use in singapore...it dsn't have really dark place...so open type will have some problem...fade image...
this is from my own exp....

anyway try to close it using black fabrics....u can get some good image....
ariefm71

Post by ariefm71 »

yes, it will be fully shrouded. chee-chien and yangbeng will testify that big reflectors with premium optics and fully baffled are the ticket to view the faint DSOs, ESPECIALLY in the light polluted skies of singapore.

Arief

ps: i'm also planning to get either 4-5" ed refractor or 7-8" Mak/Mewlon for quick grab and go.
Canopus Lim

Post by Canopus Lim »

I always observe with many street lights around me. It is important to put on the shroud (the black nylone/cloth cover) over the truss scope and also to have a black T-shirt or if the eyepiece has effective eye cups. I use the black T-shirt (I just hang the T-shirt on my head so that it covers the eyepiece and my head) to block off light that reflects off my glasses or light that reflects off the eyepiece. It makes a big difference....easily can see half magnitude stars more. Also, using small eyepieces or eyepieces that has shorter eye relief like orthos are better as the eyepiece lens is smaller and hence has less light reflected off.

The trick to see more details on DSO in Singapore... is to go high magnification.
AstroDuck