Simple way to cool your SLR

Wanna make a scope? Or better still, grind a mirror yourself. Or, you have some good tips in making a really useful accessory? This is the place to show what your hands can do...
cataclysm

Simple way to cool your SLR

Post by cataclysm »

Here is a simple but effective way to cool your typical digital slr for long exposure photography. I fashioned a cold jacket that house the camera and will keep the cold in and the dew out. The jacket is lined with cells of chilled ice packs that can be reused over and over again. The initial test is promising. Its able to hold the tempreture for over an hour, starting with 2 degree above freezing, it had only gained 6 degree centigrade after an hour! Here is the "prototype", with better insulation the peformance should improve.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cataclysm

Post by cataclysm »

Here are the photos of noise signatures with 10 minutes of exposures at ISO1600.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
zong
Administrator
Favourite scope: 1x7 binoculars (my eyes)

Post by zong »

That's quite good! Do continue on your work and tell us if you have any improvements on how to be able to use this overnight. An hour might not be enough to do some serious astrophotography, if we're gonna be doing long exposures.

How heavy is the whole thing total, compared to just the camera? Weight is also a factor if you're going to put the camera to the back of your scope...
Stargazing ... is an excuse to stay up past bedtime that never fails!
Clifford60

Post by Clifford60 »

Cold condition can shorten the battery performance, so how long can a fully charge battery last in this condition?

Btw, what is the very light "white" mark on the right bottom corner? Is my eye playing trick when looking at a black picture? A brighter screen will be able easier to see it.

Weight may not be a big concern bcos there is counter-weight to balance it.
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
Hmm... I think this is more useful for those who use the camera with a computer as they don't need the viewer finder and LCD for focusing and framing. Also, will cause any condensation in the camera as the lens mount are not isolate with the outside air??
Btw, what is the very light "white" mark on the right bottom corner? Is my eye playing trick when looking at a black picture? A brighter screen will be able easier to see it.
I think that's the amp glow.

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
Tachyon

Post by Tachyon »

The Canon 300D Specs say the minimum operating temperature for the camera is 0 deg C. Will cooling the entire camera damage the other parts?
[80% Steve, 20% Alfred] ------- Probability of Clear Skies = (Age of newest equipment in days) / [(Number of observers) * (Total Aperture of all telescopes present in mm)]
Meng Lee

Post by Meng Lee »

In the book by Robert Reeves, he mentioned that, cooling in this way is at your own risk, so I think I don't dare to do this. Hehe. :roll:
cataclysm

Post by cataclysm »

How heavy is the whole thing total
Hi Zong, the camera gained another 400g, not an issue at all.
Quote:Btw, what is the very light "white" mark on the right bottom corner? Is my eye playing trick when looking at a black picture? A brighter screen will be able easier to see it.

I think that's the amp glow.
Yes that's the electronic read noise/ amp. glow. Very obvious at long exposure. If i am not wrong, the new Cannon 400D is not prone to this.
Cold condition can shorten the battery performance, so how long can a fully charge battery last in this condition?
I had tested with internal battery, and its good for more than an hour. Power from external source will be ideal, and it will generate lesser heat signatures.
raychan

Post by raychan »

You might also want to consider applying lots gaffer tape all over your Canon DSLR. If you don't the formation of water condensation will seep into the joints of the camera and damage it.
MCYM

Post by MCYM »

Hi Kelvin

Keep up the innovation and relentless pursuit for excellent images.

This mod shows that you have a good understanding imaging system' limitation as demonstrated with exemplary cooling prototype.

Absolutely impressed!

Matthew