making a Barn-door tracking platform

Wanna make a scope? Or better still, grind a mirror yourself. Or, you have some good tips in making a really useful accessory? This is the place to show what your hands can do...
garygoh

making a Barn-door tracking platform

Post by garygoh »

Hi to all, i want to make a barn-door tracking platform that is motorised but i can't find the motor that i want in Sim Lim tower is there anyplace i could get the following item in singapore :
-4-Rpm,3-volt DC Motor
-16-tooth spur gear
-64-tooth spur gear
-10-32 brass treaded rod

or any local website that sells the following item.

hope to hear from you all, Tks .

:)
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
You can try RS or farnell:
1) RS Component: http://www.rssingapore.com/
2) Farnell: http://sg.farnell.com

But might be more expensive.

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
michael

hi

Post by michael »

for 4 rpm u btr use some device to control your speed.

u can use normal gear motor for it. it is available in simlim and quite cheap.
garygoh

Post by garygoh »

hi michael what kind of device can i use to control the speed, i want to simlim tower to find the motor but only one shop on the 3th floor got a 3V ,3 rpm DC motor. But i can't fine the spur gear to step down the speed to turn 1 RPM.If you know of any shop pls tell me Tks. :)
michael

speed reducer

Post by michael »

garygoh wrote:hi michael what kind of device can i use to control the speed, i want to simlim tower to find the motor but only one shop on the 3th floor got a 3V ,3 rpm DC motor. But i can't fine the spur gear to step down the speed to turn 1 RPM.If you know of any shop pls tell me Tks. :)

i dn't know where u get the project for Barn-door. if u dn't mind can i have a look which type of project r u building? i know about barn door..are u going for astrophotography or only for visual perpose. it only will track about few munits. i can give u some idea to get parts in singapore.

about motor, u have to make a pwm circuit for the dc motor to control.

u can use other voltage to drive motor.

spor gear u can get at jalan basar, i dn't know the name...i bought my gear from there. u can see the yellow pages. anyway it wont be easy to get gear what u want.
garygoh

Post by garygoh »

i want to do this for astrophotography, the june issure of SKY and telescope got a guide on making one.can you tell me where can i get the part in singapore, you have made one barndoor already?
tks:>
michael

hi

Post by michael »

garygoh wrote:i want to do this for astrophotography, the june issure of SKY and telescope got a guide on making one.can you tell me where can i get the part in singapore, you have made one barndoor already?
tks:>
i didn't make but i was thinking to make one.

i am not shure why they show 3rpm motor to use. if i am not wrong it should be with gear head motor. u can't get like this at simlim. u have to modifie there project for your self. actually all u can get at simlim and jalan basar hardware shop. they are selling many types of gear and trreaded rod too. i bought for my Alt-Az mount. i use stepper motor to track.
vermin498

Post by vermin498 »

Wouldn't it be easier if u use stepper motor instead? it is quite cheap to get if u know where and what to look for ..... then write a simple program on a 'PIC' chip to run the motor ... then you would not need a step down gear.... you will still need some sort of gears to run the barn door component but it will only be used as a saving mechanism for your drive motors .... I was thinkin of building one but haven't got the time to doing it .... anyway all the best and let me know of ur progress .... cheers
kayheem

Post by kayheem »

If it is only for widefield astrophotography, how about this:

http://www.telescope.com/shopping/produ ... ductID=296

This is a mini-EQ mount that accepts a RA drive. Less hassle (but more expensive) to build your own.