Does any one here make their own scope?

Wanna make a scope? Or better still, grind a mirror yourself. Or, you have some good tips in making a really useful accessory? This is the place to show what your hands can do...
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
The scopes are called Dobsonians
To be exact, the mount is call Dobsonians. This type of mount is suitable for visual and very short exposure astrophotography and normally use for wide field observation. It is cheap, but most of them may be too heavy and bulky for those need portability.

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
michael

I have made 10 inch mirror. P.V error 1/16th

Post by michael »

Hi,

Finally, I have made my 10inch Telescope. It is Dobsonian, Optics 1/16th P.V error. I had made in past two telescopes 4inch and 8 inch. Currently I am developing to control the telescope by computer, which I just made. Guys it is not easy task. In past at the beginnings I have tried three times but not succeed. After I studied lots then first started with 4 inch but succeed.
Hope for the best. Don’t be disappointed when goes wrong. Must try.

Thank you
Mike
gwenyi

Post by gwenyi »

wow... 1/16 is pretty impressive man ... keep details coming !!
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
Did you make the mirror in Singapore?? What about coating??

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Re: I have made 10 inch mirror. P.V error 1/16th

Post by Airconvent »

michael wrote:Hi,

Finally, I have made my 10inch Telescope. It is Dobsonian, Optics 1/16th P.V error. I had made in past two telescopes 4inch and 8 inch. Currently I am developing to control the telescope by computer, which I just made. Guys it is not easy task. In past at the beginnings I have tried three times but not succeed. After I studied lots then first started with 4 inch but succeed.
Hope for the best. Don’t be disappointed when goes wrong. Must try.

Thank you
Mike
wow mike...since you live near me, I think if the sky clears up, I'll be the first in line to see it! :lol:
anyway, did you grind the mirror yourself or bought the key components from oem sources like harlequin astronomics (or even overseas).
I have no idea how to grind a mirror but all I know is you need to spend hours everyday doing it for months!

rich
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
michael

10inch

Post by michael »

Hi,

Yes, I am near to you.

I had grindad the mirror at Bangladesh, coated and tested from USA. It is 10inch f/5inch parabolic. Glass BK7, same as you can find in lens. It is quite better then Plate glass. I ever grind Plate glass but not good result because the glass is not fine enough and also problem with high expansion. Last time I coated the mirror from India but that was not good enough. Mirror thickness is 1.5 inch.

Thank you