Building a simple roof top observatory

Wanna make a scope? Or better still, grind a mirror yourself. Or, you have some good tips in making a really useful accessory? This is the place to show what your hands can do...
jermng

Building a simple roof top observatory

Post by jermng »

I've currently got an opportunity to build a simple semi-permanent roof top observatory.

Probably something simple with a sliding roof and can keep my equipment safe from rain and sun/heat exposure on the roof.

Has anyone done something like this before or can point me to any site/book with plans for such a project?

Thanks!
Jeremy Ng
C8, CR-150HD, TMB 80 f/6
Orion SVP Intelliscope, AstroSlew I
Minolta Activa 12x50WA
yanyewkay

Post by yanyewkay »

i remember there's an aussie who posted his observatory with dimension in here before..

found it.. he's 'barry' his website http://www.asignobservatory.com/DIY.aspx
Meng Lee

Post by Meng Lee »

Hi, you might just want to buy this portable dome:

http://www.andysshotglass.com/POD.html

:lol:
kingkong

Post by kingkong »

i imagine a simple roll-off roof would be the easiest solution for you. in fact with some capentry skill, you can probably do everything yourself.
do remember that the required footprint will be twice the area of the observatory itself.
alternatively, if you can buy aluminium garden shed in singapore, you can perhaps try to convert one to an obs. there are numerous examples of that on the net.
jermng

Post by jermng »

Thank you all! :)

The Pod looks good but is out of my price range cos of the shipping. :)

I'm also thinking of trying to convert a garden shed into a roll off roof. But that'll take some time. :)
Jeremy Ng
C8, CR-150HD, TMB 80 f/6
Orion SVP Intelliscope, AstroSlew I
Minolta Activa 12x50WA