Where to get this material?

Wanna make a scope? Or better still, grind a mirror yourself. Or, you have some good tips in making a really useful accessory? This is the place to show what your hands can do...
jiahao1986

Where to get this material?

Post by jiahao1986 »

Hi folks,

Recently I'm searching for material to modify the azimuth bearing of our club's 10inch Dob. I browsed through some foreign forums and find they suggest FRP - Fiberglass Reinforced Plastic. They say that this material is used as bathroom wall surface quite often. Below are the pictures of it:

[align=center]Image[/align]

[align=center]Image[/align]

Has anyone seen this in Singapore? I remember seeing it somewhere. If you know where I can get this material, please tell me! The size I need is around 24"x24".

Thanks!!!

Best regards,
Jia Hao
Clear skies please...
mrngbss

Post by mrngbss »

*If i know what you are saying:
I suggest to use wooden planks coupled with some Teflon/similar pieces. Teflon cost $20 per sq ft. The similar pieces which I'm referring to are available in DIY shops, round or square and usually in grey colour. I used them as frictionless pads to make a 1m turntable to support 60kg man on top.

Still quite smooth.
Wee Nghee the Pooh
jiahao1986

Post by jiahao1986 »

mrngbss wrote:*If i know what you are saying:
I suggest to use wooden planks coupled with some Teflon/similar pieces. Teflon cost $20 per sq ft. The similar pieces which I'm referring to are available in DIY shops, round or square and usually in grey colour. I used them as frictionless pads to make a 1m turntable to support 60kg man on top.

Still quite smooth.
Hi Wee Ngee,

Thanks for your reply. I'm trying to do this mod because the azimuth movement of our dobsonian is too jerky. Actually the mount is already wooden, and it applies Teflon pads, but still introduces too much friction/stiction. The construction of the base are illustrated in the following pictures:

[align=center]Image

Image[/align]

As illustrated above, the material I'm searching is to be applied to the rocker box bottom, then the Teflon pads should move more smoothly. A complete modification by someone are given in the following pictures:

[align=center]Image

Image[/align]

The reason for using this material is that Teflon works better on bumpy surfaces. When working on such surfaces, the friction and stiction coefficient become almost identical, hence the initial movement will become easy. They guy who did the mod above said that before doing this mod he had problem tracking at 200X, after the mod he could track at 600X with no much issue.

Hope this explains my idea clearly.

Best regards,
Jia Hao
Clear skies please...