Convert Tube Newtonian to Dobsonian

Wanna make a scope? Or better still, grind a mirror yourself. Or, you have some good tips in making a really useful accessory? This is the place to show what your hands can do...
Traveler

Post by Traveler »

Hi,
Does anyone know how much would it cost approximately to convert it into a dobsonian? Are there any workshops that can fabricate the wooden parts needed for it? Thanks!
chrisyeo

Post by chrisyeo »

If you DIY, it'll cost less than $50 total.
zirconion

Post by zirconion »

chrisyeo wrote:If you DIY, it'll cost less than $50 total.
Hi

Does anyone know where can i find a good carpenter to fabricate a dob base for 114mm. The base that came with the scope is CMI so i hope to find a fabricator to re-do the base with real wood hehe!

Thanks a zillion
rlow

Post by rlow »

I could suggest or help you. Contact me offline via sms.
Richard Low
zirconion

Post by zirconion »

rlow wrote:I could suggest or help you. Contact me offline via sms.
Thanks Rlow

I will sms u later.

Cheers
zirconion

Post by zirconion »

Still looking for carpenter to build the dob base. If anyone know a good carpenter please recommend thanks
rlow

Post by rlow »

Still looking for carpenter to build the dob base. If anyone know a good carpenter please recommend thanks
You pm me for my h/p no., yet did not contact/sms me. Perhaps I should clarify my position:

a. I said I can suggest as I am working in the construction industry and so I know some carpenters (but it won't be cheap to do a one-off job...) and

b. I said I can help as I am currently building a dob, and also fabricating an adapter to retrofit a refractor. I have my own array of power tools & work benches at home to do my my own cutting, routing, drilling, tapping, finishing etc and I personally have access to two workshops to do my own milling and welding as well. I have ample ATM material to work with. Trained in architecture, I also like to do my own design. So if you want to DIY, I can also help you with design, materials & fabrication. ATM is something I also enjoy doing, apart from observing. And I am speaking as a hobbyist, not a vendor. [smilie=info.gif]

However I do not want to carry on this discussion here, as it would be tedious & less efficient to do it online. You guys did not give much details for us to reply specifically anyway. So if you like, just call me & we can discuss or arrange something.
Last edited by rlow on Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richard Low
zirconion

Post by zirconion »

rlow wrote:
You pm me for my h/p no., yet did not contact/sms me. Perhaps I should clarify my position:

a. I said I can suggest as I am working in the construction industry and so I know some carpenters (but it won't be cheap to do a one-off job...) and

b. I said I can help as I am currently building a dob, and also fabricating adapter for a refractor. I have my own array of power tools & work benches at home to do my my own cutting, routing, drilling, tapping, finishing etc and I personally have access to two workshops to do my own milling and welding as well. I have ample ATM material to work with. Trained in architecture, I also like to do my own design, so if you want to DIY, I can also help you with design, materials & fabrication. ATM is something I also enjoy doing, apart from observing. [smilie=info.gif]

However I do not want to carry on this discussion here , as it would be tedious & less efficient to do it online. You guys did not give much details for us to reply specifically anyway. So if you like, just call me & we can discuss or arrange something.
Hi Richard

Thanks for the clarification. I am oversea now will give you a call next weekend once i am back.

Cheers!