How to cool your telescope

Wanna make a scope? Or better still, grind a mirror yourself. Or, you have some good tips in making a really useful accessory? This is the place to show what your hands can do...
Barry

Post by Barry »

Michael.

Canberra, Australia, can be very hot in the daytime. Being inland, it cools down rapidly at night. Trying to stay ahead or equal to ambient temperature in a sealed OTA SCT is difficult without some kind of active cooling.

I am telling you. At great financial risk, the modification was done, tried, tested and proved effective! I had a inside/outside temperature sensor on the scope and on the mirror. It works! No question about it.

BTW, how can you compare a fan/heat sink on your amplifier with Peltier cooling of a telescope for thermal stability in optics? Apples for apples mate, come on!
michael

Post by michael »

Wow that’s hot. We are lucky that Singapore in not so hot otherwise I had to make heat sink for my telescope like you.

You could add some dark aluminum small fines outside the tube surface like surface fines, so it will transmit the heat from internal to the external very swiftly and the cooling process would even more effective. Internal tube is black so naturally its will absorb the heat from internal and transmit out by the fine at outer surface.

I made my own heat sink for several times those are totally different, That was real complicated. Anyway it’s nice job. I like your DIY.

Actually you can eliminate the vibration produce by the fan. There is a way to do it.
Barry

Post by Barry »

Thanks Michael,

Interesting suggestions, but what I did was enough to be very effective. Read the tutorial. No more fins are neccessary.

I sold the telescope. No more cooling mods for me.

Baz.
michael

Post by michael »

You sold the telescope? This is an extraordinary works you had done on your telescope. Now what’s next? Do you have anymore telescope to watch?
Barry

Post by Barry »

I bought a new one. Changed to 120mm Refractor.

Skywatcher ED 120 APO Black Diamond. Fantastic telescope!