How to cool your telescope

Wanna make a scope? Or better still, grind a mirror yourself. Or, you have some good tips in making a really useful accessory? This is the place to show what your hands can do...
Barry

How to cool your telescope

Post by Barry »

Well, I raided the tip for some computer fans and coolers....I have been a busy boy tonight.

I was a bit nervous about pulling the scope to bits to do this, but it is well and truly out of warranty now and I am fairly confident I know what I am doing....

I will be writing a FULL tutorial and have LOTS of photos, so stay tuned folks!

Baz.

acc
Administrator
Favourite scope: Mag1 Instruments 12.5" Portaball

Post by acc »

Wow that looks like some major surgery :mrgreen:
We do it in the dark...
Portaball 12.5"
Takahashi Mewlon 210
William Optics 110ED
...and all night long!
p4cm4n2000

Post by p4cm4n2000 »

Yo Barry,
This is "cool" stuff man!

did you sand off the coating at the bottom to reveal the metal layer ?

I presume you used thermal glue to stick the heat-sink onto the base ?

Looking forward for your article man!

Thanks. :up

John
Barry

Post by Barry »

Hi John, Yes I did sand it back to bare aluminium. The fans will have heat paste applied and then be screwed on from the inside. Wait and see mate, turtorial coming soon for all the answers...

Baz.
Barry

Post by Barry »

All done!!!

With inspiration and guidance from Paul and Anthony (They developed this method) from Southern Celestial Pole, I have completed an active cooling modification and tutorial on my C11 SCT, using Peltier coolers.

http://www.asignobservatory.com/Cooling ... ation.aspx

My thanks to both of them for their encouragement and backing to share this around.

Cheers,

Baz.
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

Congrats on the success of your surgical procedure, Dr Barry! [smilie=cool.gif]
I'm glad we don't need to do it here in Singapore where temperature are moderate all year round indoors and outdoors....
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
michael

Post by michael »

hi,

Be honest with you. This is not the way to be cooling the telescope. its reminds me how i made my DIY class A amplifire and heatsink was cooling by few fans. its good for class A amp but not good telescope.

if you are watching in low X then is ok but when you use high X you can see the super vibration with the object. 100% not good for photography not visual.
Barry

Post by Barry »

Hello Michael, can you please clarify what is this low x and high x you speak of?

This IS a great way to cool a telescope so I have to disagree with you. You might notice if you look closely, that it is not JUST cooling fans and heat sinks. There are also three electric peltier cooling cards under each heat sink, to ACTIVELY draw the heat out of the metal of the mirror back. There are also three small internal fans to circulate the air over the cold metal, dropping the temperature inside the telescope rapidly.

As far as vibration is concerned, the fans are turned off during photography OF COURSE! The idea is to cool the telescope BEFORE imaging, to obtain stable optics inside, with greatly reduced thermal currents within the telescope.

The mirror temperature dropped rapidly every time, within about 20 minutes. I got much more stable image as a result, making my images sharper, clearer and much easier to focus.

As a result, my planetary imaging improved tremendously overnight.

The only thing I did wrong was to break the corrector in the process, so I sold the scope before I could really do much more.

The guy who owns it now, loves it, uses it and has a cooled scope for when he decides to do his own photography, a feature that doesn't usually come standard.

If you disagree, please try to argue with the thousands of people all around the world with DIY and commercial, off-the-shelf, cooled telescopes.
10,000rpm

Post by 10,000rpm »

Barry,

What he means is "low magnification" and "high magnification".

Cheers!
michael

Post by michael »

x is the magnification.

if you only used it for cooling after or before viewing or imaging then should be ok. its not really require unless your country weather is very hot. mostly at night time weather temp is lower then day time. Your telescope metal body ultimately working as a heatsink. if your telescope mirror glass is not pyrex and the mirror is large also the weather is hot then you have think for some other option to cooling down.