Easy way of installing solar filter for camera lens

Wanna make a scope? Or better still, grind a mirror yourself. Or, you have some good tips in making a really useful accessory? This is the place to show what your hands can do...
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Easy way of installing solar filter for camera lens

Post by weixing »

Hi,
Below is an easier way of making a solar filter from a big sheet and install on your lens by using the UV (or protector) filter that most of us have on our lens. Do it at your own risk (I won't be responsible for any damage equipment or any eye damage):

1) Use a compass to draw a circular template from a hard cover paper of your lens thread size and cut it out. DO NOT use the compass to draw a circle directly on the solar filter as it might cause a hole in the filter and risk of damaging your DSLR sensor or your eye.

2) Use the paper template to draw a circle on your solar filter and cut it out. Remember to make a spare just in case your solar filter got holes on the actual day. Below are a picture of the circular template (left) I created, the solar filter cut out (middle), UV filter (right) and my zoom lens (top):

3) Before you install and use the solar filter, make sure you check that there is no holes on the solar filter. You can check for holes by putting the solar filter in front of a bright light source and see is there any bright dots on the solar filter. If yes, it's mean that there are holes on the solar filter... throw it away and DON'T USE ANY SOLAR FILTER THAT HAD HOLES ON IT!!

4) Remove the UV (or protector) filter from your lens and place the solar filter on to the lens surface.
Install the UV (or protector) filter back on your lens. Please note that there is a small gap between the UV (or protector) filter and the lens surface, so the solar filter inside will move around (especially if your solar filter is not the exact size) when you rotate the lens, so make sure the solar filter cover the whole lens surface.

5) Check the solar filter is install properly by pointing the lens at a bright light source and look through the rear of the lens. No light should be seen. If yes, either the solar filter is not install properly, is too small or got holes on it.

Below are a few test shot using my Canon EFS 55-250mm f/4.5-5.6 IS lens at 250mm on my Canon 450D:
1) My room light bulb (F5.6, 20s @ ISO 800):

2) Sun (F5.6, 1/500s @ ISO 100):

3) Same as above but 100% crop:

Please take extra safety precaution when making the solar filter. Hope the above information are useful and happy shooting!

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
Tachyon

Post by Tachyon »

I always have a fear that the solar filter will slip. That's why I normally cover the filter to BEYOND the edge of the scope/lens. But that's just me...

*Sigh*.. no sunspots...
[80% Steve, 20% Alfred] ------- Probability of Clear Skies = (Age of newest equipment in days) / [(Number of observers) * (Total Aperture of all telescopes present in mm)]
cataclysm

Post by cataclysm »

All right! Looks simple to install, and it works!
Btw, where to get the filter? :)
yybmage

Post by yybmage »

Hmm... I will try though it is scary. [smilie=hell-yes.gif]
Blast off!!!!!!!
Clifford60

Post by Clifford60 »

Camera with live view will not be scary, but something great.
weixing
Super Moderator
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
Btw, where to get the filter?
I got it (A4 size "Solar Filter - Thousand Oak Black Polymer") from Astro Scientific Centre (can't remember how much does it cost) last year... initially want to make a 8" filter for my R200SS, but too lazy now. :p
Hmm... I will try though it is scary.
It's very safe if you take all the safety precaution... check before install on the lens and check after install on the lens.

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
weixing
Super Moderator

Post by weixing »

Hi,
I just checked the price of the A4 size "Solar Filter - Thousand Oak Black Polymer from Astro Scientific Centre, it's S$29.

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
aarenlainey

Post by aarenlainey »

Yes I have also try this & Camera with live view will not be scary, but something great.